MXR Distortion II...

Started by jonathan perez, February 24, 2007, 02:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan perez

does anyone have any information on this sucker? any schems? clones? sound samples? blahblah?

thanx!  ;D
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Meanderthal

I had one. It's weird sounding as I recall, but useful when stacked with other distortions or overdrives.

I am not responsible for your imagination.

aron

I've always wanted to purchase one. Some people really like it. Something like that I'd rather buy than try and make.

Meanderthal

Yeah, it's pretty elaborate for a distortion. Only problem with buying one would be unless Dunlop reissues it you'll be forced to pay an outrageous $um for a distortion that will probably sound a whole lot different than you'd expect. With this one I'd suggest trying before you buy it to make sure you actually like what it does.

Processaurus

Anyone know what the "resonance" section doing?  You sure don't hear about this one very much.  Someone building could omit a few things invloved in the switching, maybe use a charge pump for the higher voltage PS.  Unless it might work fine on 9v (don't see why a distortion would need "headroom")...

Torchy

Processaurus

There's an error in that one, the feedback path if U1b's output to r12 is missing, right now it would act like a comparator.  Also U2a pin 2 is the inverting input, and pin 3 the non-inverting input.

The resonance stage around U1b is weird, its a clipping stage of some sort, but the output is inverted from the clipped signal from U1a that it gets summed with at U3a.  I don't get why the signal from R9 goes through identical sized caps to U1b's input and output, as its different than a typical opamp diode clipper.  What kind of filtering does that do?

Some other thoughts looking at this:  Filter looks just like the Rat filter.  Also I don't see anything that wouldn't run fine on 9v, except maybe the headroom of U2a, but thats getting clipped immediately afterward anyway.  Odd they used a cheapo 4558 as the input buffer rather than the TL072, and not use the 4558 for the Vref.

Meanderthal

Funny how a clean looking schematic makes stuff look a whole lot simpler...

Torchy

scaesic

i built two of these and ran them off 9v, minus all that logic switching like tochys diagram. infact i think it was torchy who helped me out with it all that time ago. i think itd give you a lot more ehadroom if it was run off 18v but i havnt tried it, it sounds ok at 9v. i'm really not sure about the sound of it though, it's kind of a "messy" distortion, not fuzzy though.

i have a very similar cleaned up schem, although i did it about a year ago now.

the resonance basically brings in some subs, it acts as a blend between two clipping circuits with different fc's.

on it's own its a very grungey/nirvana bass heavy kind of distortion, i thought it sounded particularly good either with a tubescreamer in front of it both running at medium gain, or on it's own at low drive with resonance all the way up to bring in a low drive/bassy sound.

its probably obvious but you can just cut out all the stuff before and including vr1, i know i preferred to do that because i didnt want a psu built inside a pedal.

Meanderthal

Quotei thought it sounded particularly good either with a tubescreamer in front of it both running at medium gain
That's what I remember. Where this thing really whooped ass.

scaesic

Quote from: Meanderthal on February 26, 2007, 10:40:52 AM
Quotei thought it sounded particularly good either with a tubescreamer in front of it both running at medium gain
That's what I remember. Where this thing really whooped ass.

totally, it'd be good to try and build the best of both in one, either that or build a true bypass box and have them both in the loop. neither of which i can be bothered with anymore. for some reason i got a year long obsession with this distortion, and once i built it i decided i dont like distorted guitar. im on a quest for a super clean sound now.

Meanderthal

What's buggin' me now is the fact that I don't remember trying it on bass... at the time I was just not using effects on bass at all, I was going thru a 'purist' phase of my own. Wonder if this distortion somehow triggers that? Heh.

scaesic

i havnt tried it with bass, i suspect it'd just start farting out though. i dont use any effects with bass either though.