Small Stone phaser volume mod

Started by xnery, February 24, 2007, 04:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xnery

Has anyone here ever modded an EH Small Stone USA Reissue in order to eliminate the volume drop?

I read at http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=109&Itemid=139 that it can be done:

"To fix the volume loss problem - The feedback resistor in the input gain stage is R6, 5k6 - change to 10k The mixing resistor in the feedback / color stage is R27, 2k2 - change to 5k6 "

I wanted to get any possible comments before I tried this one.

$uperpuma

If its on GGG, chances are its tried and true. Try it and see if its true :)
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

zachomega

I did this mod to a friend's phaser and it was a complete success.

**EDIT**  I just noticed you were asking about RI Small Stones...I'd suspect it will still work.  My friend's was a 77 Small Stone (I think). 

-Zach Omega

dmk

i kinda like the volume drop on my small stone. i use it in my fx loop and find the slight decrease stops in from being to overbearing. i also have a boss ph1 that adds quite a lot of volume when its engaged, but i use that before od.
resistance is futile...
...if <1Ω

phaseman

Hi there! I did the mods suggested by Charlie Lamm http://www.charlielamm.com/gear/.
Here are the mods (markings relate to tonepads schematic )  : 3 kohm (3.11 really) for R11, 2k2 resistor in series with 5k pot. This way you get color control, and thats great. Of course, it affects only the "color on" mode. Still, there was a volume drop. I really wanted to make this
pedal useful for me and I added a clean booster after it (with an extra true bypass switch).  There you go, level control....!!!!
That solved my problems and since than, small stone is in my pedal board.....   

Btw  ;), it's my most most favourite efect  ;D

Marko

petemoore

I went the stick a booster on the end, inside the TB for the phaser route, volume pot lets below and above unity [good boost of Jfet] be available, this is nice cause sometimes I want a hot signal w/switch to phased output.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gila_Crisis

i made the mod on GGG and this solved the volume loss problem on my NYC Reissue ! :icon_evil:

lowstar

i applied these mods 2 times to 2 phasers of a friend of mine, with one i was able to fix the volume drop (i think i true-bypassed it also, but i canĀ“t quite remember) , the other was a russian small stone (green) that had the squeal/oscillation problem, which i also was completely able to get rid of.
compete success, so to speak.
very cool to have such sources of knowledge available in the net.  :icon_mrgreen:

cheers,
lowstar
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100

joelap

bah, I tried a few of the volume reduction mods on my black and red Russian stone, and while most of them eliminated the volume, some of them changed the tone in the color mode significantly, and others made the pedal clip a bit more.  I have yet to try sticking a JFET stage at the end of the effect but thats the best bet I've encountered, at least for the russian small stone.  Lowering the input resistor from 100k to 50k also helped, but my humbucker guitars ended up clipping the signal when I was playing a little harder than usual.
- witty sig -

petemoore

bah, I tried a few of the volume reduction mods on my black and red Russian stone, and while most of them eliminated the volume, some of them changed the tone in the color mode.
  including 'volume pot?..this could be implimented in a way which would have very little to no tonal effect [within a 'usable' range'] other than volume control...output level of course can/will have an effect on whatever it is driving..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Gila_Crisis

so on the site of analogman, there's this pic that show the trim he put inside the Small Stone to fix the volume.

I think he works on the same resistors as the GGG mod. there he also says that he doesn't work on russian stone, 'cause those are a bit crappy to work on.

analogmike

If you boost the volume, you will need to turn down the feedback in COLOR mode to stop whistling/oscillation. Using trimpots instead of resistors really allows you to dial it in to your taste, also allows the COLOR mode (which is more intense due to feedback) to be tamed if it's too FAR - OUT for you.

Have fun!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com