SparkleDrive Build. Anyone interested?

Started by markm, February 25, 2007, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Hi fellas,
I've been working on the VDL Sparkle Drive circuit this weekend, would like to know what the interest is in it?

blanik

yeeeeessssss?  :D

is'it a TS with dry signal mixed in it??

tungngruv

MartyMart

+1 on the SD  :D
I have a schem, need any assistance ?

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

jlullo

markm

Well,
This is how it started.
I have a schem done by Rob Strand that I found while cleaning up some old paperwork and as I was sitting at the desk this morning I started messing around with a layout for it and it just fell together for me.
The problem I have is, I would like to verify it and have so many things going on it may be awhile before I can do that.
Anyone wanna breadboard the layout and see if it's functional?
Marty, is the schem you have from RS too?

Here it is.....anybody have some time to verify this?
BTW-   R6 is 10K.

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/SparkleDrive_LAYOUT

newbie builder

//

Torchy

Not yet verified ... dual pot connections may vary on pot construction ... corrections welcome

markm

So.....what's the deal with Rob Strands schem?  ???

Torchy

Quote from: Rob Strand on January 17, 2002, 09:04:51 PM
Follow this link to the blending thread:
http://resin.csoft.net/~stompbox/webbbs_scripts/webbbs_config.pl?read=2867

I'm sure the real unit uses a TS-9 distortion and tone section.

Regards
Rob

Because Rob's is a Doodoolabs Sprinkledrive.
The schem I put up was from a Sparkledrive, not a Sprinkledrive ... From his site, and comments he made, Rob's schem is just his take on a blended overdrive.

http://happybob.com/rstrand/

markm

:icon_lol:
So that's what this circuit is.
I had a half ripped up schem with "Sparkle" written across the top and....well....here we are!  :icon_rolleyes:
Interesting.
Is your schem one you traced out yourself Torchy?

Torchy

No but it came from a very reliable source (personal friend) , and I had a limited chance to check out a real one  - looks good to go. Working on a pcb for this one myself.

<edit> Oh, and I think the Vref divider resistors were 22K.

markm

Quote from: Torchy on February 25, 2007, 08:43:46 PM
No but it came from a very reliable source (personal friend) , and I had a limited chance to check out a real one  - looks good to go. Working on a pcb for this one myself.

Cool  8)
Thanks for clearing the air on this.....I guess I should researched this out a bit more and not taken the schem I have for face value.
I think I'll build the SprinkleDrive anyway.....looks kinda cool too!

Rob Strand

> I think I'll build the SprinkleDrive anyway.....looks kinda cool too!

Gaw'd old ghosts.

FYI, RickL posted his review comments on the Sprinkle and the Sparkle he said he preferred the Sparkle.  I suspect the tone control section is the main reason, and it would be easy to change the tone section on the Sparkle.   The final Sparkle actually used four Si diodes in the feedback loop and no post clippers but I never got around to putting a schematic up.  In the RickL thread, RickL and I discussed a few issues and mods.  The Sparkle gives you a bit more clean boost at the expense of using the dual pot.  I think I had a circuit somewhere which had more boost with a single pot, it's a long time ago and I haven't look at it.

As far as blend circuits go they pretty much all do the same thing, provided the clean path is actually clean.  It's a matter of getting the distorted part working how you like it first, if that part doesn't suit you it won't work out in the end.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

dachshund

Should there be a connection to Vb where the blend pots link? In other words, pin 1 of Blend pot A connects to 3 of B. Shouldn't that node also go to Vb?

markm

Quote from: dachshund on February 26, 2007, 10:32:37 AM
Should there be a connection to Vb where the blend pots link? In other words, pin 1 of Blend pot A connects to 3 of B. Shouldn't that node also go to Vb?

Lug 2 connects to the Volume Control according to the schem.
I think it is in the notes of my layout.  ???
Quote from: Rob Strand on February 26, 2007, 02:14:19 AM
> I think I'll build the SprinkleDrive anyway.....looks kinda cool too!

Gaw'd old ghosts.

FYI, RickL posted his review comments on the Sprinkle and the Sparkle he said he preferred the Sparkle.  I suspect the tone control section is the main reason, and it would be easy to change the tone section on the Sparkle.   The final Sparkle actually used four Si diodes in the feedback loop and no post clippers but I never got around to putting a schematic up.  In the RickL thread, RickL and I discussed a few issues and mods.  The Sparkle gives you a bit more clean boost at the expense of using the dual pot.  I think I had a circuit somewhere which had more boost with a single pot, it's a long time ago and I haven't look at it.

As far as blend circuits go they pretty much all do the same thing, provided the clean path is actually clean.  It's a matter of getting the distorted part working how you like it first, if that part doesn't suit you it won't work out in the end.

I know it's your circuit Rob but, what's your opinion of it's sound?
Thanks for the circuit BTW!  :icon_wink:

snoof

I've got a real one, if any help is needed...  I don't really care for the bass drop and the mid hump.  but a nice pedal nonetheless.

Rob Strand

> what's your opinion of it's sound

It sounds fine to me.  The distorted path has the basic sound of all those type of clippers - slight midrange hump but basically a nice overdrive sound.  (I've heard so many of these they all start to sound the same.)

The blend is where you start getting off the normal path.  It allows you to add some natural  bass and sheen (sparkle) to the signal, and that takes some fo the mid-hump out.  I found this is quite good for light overdrive but mixing the clean signal with a highly overdriven sound never sounded natural to me.

Out of all the zillions of similar circuits the TS-9 tone control tends to be present in more units that people like.  If you want to play around I would allow for this option.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

milkwasabadchoice

so is this thread dead? i would love to build the VOODOO LABS SPARKLE DRIVE (caps to make it clear not the sprinkle drive) ;). Is there a perf for the sparkle? Anyone?

Thanks,
Jason

markm

I've been meaning to put together something for the Sparkle but, I have been involved in many other things over the last week such as a new Compressor circuit!! I've also been informed that some of the SparkleDRIVE schems on the net are wrong.
If someone can provide a schem that is correct, not just one they *think* is correct, I'll give it a go.
For the time being though, I guess this thread is dead!  :icon_lol: