Stupid question - how to print MarkMs .sized files??

Started by ronh95, February 25, 2007, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronh95

I've searched and I'm sure the answer is simple, but I can't seem to find it.  I've tried to open the file in MS Paint, Acrobat and Photo Shop with no success.

I really like the looks of his Ross Compressor clone pcb layout, but can't crack the code.

Thanks!

markm

Hey,
Thanks for lookin' at my layouts!!
Check the last page of the DIY Layout Creator sticky at the top of the page here and blanik has a step by step explaination that could help you out.

ronh95

Thank you Mark, but I'd already read Blanik's graphics lesson.  It doesn't address how to get the file into a tool to even open it.  I've tried 'save picture as' and it looks like it's going to save as a .gif, but then it's puts '.thumb' at the end of the file name and no application that I have, including photoshop, can even load it.  I've tried right clicking and printing without even opening the file and it came out about 1 1/4" square.  Can you tell me what format at least the pcb files are in?

I've even installed the DIY layout creator thinking it was that format, but I couldn't get it to open there either.  Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I'm used to working with .pdf formats for pcb transfer and those are pretty straightforward. I'd really like to use this layout for the Ross, but am missing something here. 

Thank you, Ron

Alex C

On the gallery page if you try to save and it comes up as ".sized," try left clicking on the image.  It should refresh the page but with the full-size image, not sized.
For example, the Soul Preacher layout: http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/Soul_Preacher_revision_7_LAYOUT
That link brings up a sized image, but left clicking adds "?full=1" to the url, and displays the full-size image.

Another method is to press SHIFT + PRINT SCREEN (located above INSERT above arrow keys).  This saves your screen as an image on the clipboard, and this can be pasted into MSPaint, Photoshop, etc. and cropped and edited from there.  The only ones in Mark's gallery that I've seen that are sized are the layouts, not PNP, so this shouldn't cause problems with sizing.

David

I printed it out as it appeared and then photocopied the print reduced to 50%.

markm

What I usually do is print them out in MS Paint and resize the file according to the outside measurements and hole spacing in the board.
Not very scientific but, hey......it works!   :icon_confused:

mdh

I've found that printing Markm's PNP transfers at 200 DPI (dots per inch; sometimes referred to as pixels per inch, PPI) works. I suspect that this is the default for export resolution for Bancika's layout editor, but I can't say this for sure, since I've never used it. Being mainly a Linux user, I don't know if Paint or other free Windows programs allow you to set the print resolution explicitly, but if so, that's probably the way to go. If I'm uncertain, I just print the layout on plain paper, and stick a socket on the page to make sure that IC pin spacing is alright.

markm

Quote from: mdh on February 26, 2007, 08:32:18 PM
I've found that printing Markm's PNP transfers at 200 DPI (dots per inch; sometimes referred to as pixels per inch, PPI) works. I suspect that this is the default for export resolution for Bancika's layout editor, but I can't say this for sure, since I've never used it. Being mainly a Linux user, I don't know if Paint or other free Windows programs allow you to set the print resolution explicitly, but if so, that's probably the way to go. If I'm uncertain, I just print the layout on plain paper, and stick a socket on the page to make sure that IC pin spacing is alright.

:D
I've done that too!!

ronh95

Thanks guys!  I was able to get the file into Paint finally and went into 'page setup' and set the scaling to 49%.  It measured within 1/32" of the stated external dimensions (slightly undersized). 50% was 1/8" too large.  I'll try sticking the socket into the paper before I go to the iron/etch steps, hopefully tomorrow evening.

Thanks again to all for your help...