Tube Driver and 9v power supply

Started by msurdin, February 26, 2007, 08:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msurdin

I am trying to finish up a cornish style board project with a friend. We are about to order one of the power supplies off of General guitar gadgets. I want to be able to have my 1 or 2 tube drivers and 9v power supply both be able to be powered via the 1 cable that will come out of the back of the pedal board.
Can someone walk me through doing this? And also what power supply from GGG would be the most quiet, and best for alot of effects.

Also can i just take the wires that go to the 9v dc jack and just go straight to the board?

Thanks alot!

alextheian-alex

What are you trying to do?  Do you have a pair of tube driver pedals that you are powereing off one adaptor?

msurdin

What I am trying to do is have 1 power cable on the back of my enclosure. I want to be able to power my 9v pedals as well as my tube driver without having to plug anything in besides the power cable on the back of my enclosure.

Papa_lazerous

You are going to need a fair amount of juice especially if you are powering pedals with valves in.  Have a look over at Smallbears site there are some nice looking PSU projects there one of them has a fair amount of juice.

Maybe if you list all the pedals you are going to run off the power supply it might be possible to guestimate how much juice you need

The Tone God

The initial concern should be the tube heaters. If you want to stick with 9v, assuming 12A*7 tubes, then you will have to run the heaters around 6.3v@300mA each so you need atleast 600mA for two tubes if you run the tubes in parallel and some sub-power supply circuit to derive the 6.3v from the 9v.

Without more information about your "tube driver" everything suggested will be guess work.

Andrew

msurdin

Well I have decided that i am only going to use 1 tube driver. Its going to have a 12aU7 tube inside of it.  Thats the only tubed pedal.
What power supply would you reccomend from GGG?

The tube driver is a tube works bk 911.

Is it possible for someone the give any more instructions for this part as I am having a terrible time doign this.

Thanks for all your help!

alextheian-alex

You can daisy chain them together pretty easily, but you'll have to add up the current draw of all your pedals and then make sure you have enough juice from the power supply.

msurdin

I see some of the power supplies have abunch of different places for many 9v dc jacks that you dont have to daisy chain. Can those just go straight to the board?

I still need some help with all the wiring for the tube driver and 9v supply to get powered by the single power cable.

Papa_lazerous

Just because there are many outputs doesnt mean you have more power at your disposal than if you where daisy chaining.  You really MUST list what you are using and tell us more about the tube driver otherwise you will have a power supply that cant do what you want.

caress

since we're on the subject, i figured i would ask:  i'm also making a multi-fx enclosure and wondering about power...  it's going to have an ad3208 delay, a tremulus lune, a boost of some kind (maybe mosfet) and a fuzz of some kind (possibly npn fuzz face).  i know how to measure the current draw, but could i just daisy chain the positive rails together and use a single 9v dc jack?

msurdin

The tube driver is 120vac and 10 watts. All the other pedals I will be using are 9v power.
I was to have a few 9v jacks on the back for pedals i will be using throught my send and returns. Those will have leds also.
The kind of pedals are a few boss, bd2, tuner, ce2,cs2. (I do need help with the switching system, can someone pm me about that if you know anything about changing that?) A buffer from GGG(not decided yet) The rest of the effects are from GGG and they are all 9v power.

And wile we are talking about what I need for powering, I want to build a silicone fuzz face for it. What is best for this the NpN or PnP design?

thanks for all your help!

alextheian-alex

Quote from: caress on February 27, 2007, 04:37:55 PM
since we're on the subject, i figured i would ask:  i'm also making a multi-fx enclosure and wondering about power...  it's going to have an ad3208 delay, a tremulus lune, a boost of some kind (maybe mosfet) and a fuzz of some kind (possibly npn fuzz face).  i know how to measure the current draw, but could i just daisy chain the positive rails together and use a single 9v dc jack?

Just splice a 1 ohm resistor inline between an adaptor input jack and output jack.  Plug the adaptor into the input jack and the other side into the pedal and plau the pedal as you normally would.  measure the voltage drop across the 1 ohm resistor with a meter set in the millivolts range... the drop in millivolts will correspond to the current in milliamps. 

Bear in mind, many pedals will draw a different current at playing volume than they will just sitting there (that is just the idle current) so you need to either run a signal through it with a little signal generator, or just play your guitar through it while you measure.

slacker

Quote from: caress on February 27, 2007, 04:37:55 PM
i know how to measure the current draw, but could i just daisy chain the positive rails together and use a single 9v dc jack?

Yeah, make sure your power supply can provide enough current then just tie all the positive rails together.

caress

msurdin

So any more help on how to power my tube driver in the setup I plan to use?

And In boss pedals, Can I just remove the wires from their 9v jack and take the wires from my 9v supply an just put them on the board where the boss ones were?

Thanks

slacker

Quote from: msurdin on February 28, 2007, 11:21:32 AM
So any more help on how to power my tube driver in the setup I plan to use?
I don't know, does the tube driver have it's own power supply or does it run straight off 120v AC?

[quopte]
And In boss pedals, Can I just remove the wires from their 9v jack and take the wires from my 9v supply an just put them on the board where the boss ones were?
Thanks
[/quote]

Yes you can just remove the 9 volt jack from the circuit board and add wires from + and ground to your 9volt supply.