BD2, TU2, Ge7 Mod

Started by msurdin, February 28, 2007, 11:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msurdin

I want to make these 3 pedals (Bd2, tu2, and the Ge7 true bypass. The reason is I am putting them into a enclosure that will be sealed. Can someone walk me through doing this? Is doing this mod the same for all boss pedals?

I'm also looking for the bd2 mod that analog man and keeley do.

Thanks!

$uperpuma

Rehousing boss pedals is not all that fun. But a schematic will help you find where the circuit goes through the switching circuit, so you can find the effect in and out.

as far as mods go, those guys have their versions of the mods they do and don't really publish them. But if you search around here you'll find lots of cool stuff to do to that one. Another guy who has spent a lot of time with the BD-2 is Brian Wampler. You might check out his mod book.  It helped me.
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

msurdin

When I find the effect in and out is there something special i do? And Someone told me there is something you can do to always keep the boss pedals on.

slacker

Instead of doing true bypass, you can just move the switching off the board. Have a look at Mark Hammer's post in this thread
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=42269.0 in many cases this is just as good if not better than true bypass.
You could just take the boards out of the pedals, mount them in your enclosure and wire up momentary stomp switches to them.

Jay Doyle

Quote from: msurdin on February 28, 2007, 11:26:25 AM
I want to make these 3 pedals (Bd2, tu2, and the Ge7 true bypass. The reason is I am putting them into a enclosure that will be sealed. Can someone walk me through doing this? Is doing this mod the same for all boss pedals?

I'm also looking for the bd2 mod that analog man and keeley do.

Thanks!
Search. Search. Search.

I'd build a true bypass box for each of the Boss pedals. Quicker, easier and cheaper than trying to fit all of those circuits into a box and port all of the controls (esp. the GE7 sliders) onto the new enclosure. This is not an easy request and I doubt anyone here has the time to walk you through it. You are going to have to do some research and work on this yourself.

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

msurdin

The problem with building a bypass box for it would having to use cables. Unless I knew a way to just wire the boss pedals to the bypass box. If i did that I would just have to know how to keep the unit on all the time.

Jay Doyle

Quote from: msurdin on February 28, 2007, 03:28:13 PM
The problem with building a bypass box for it would having to use cables. Unless I knew a way to just wire the boss pedals to the bypass box. If i did that I would just have to know how to keep the unit on all the time.
To keep it on all the time, plug the things together and turn the pedal on, then keep it on and use the bypass box to bypass it. YOu are going to have to see the screen to tune right? So you are going to have to make sure that it is on...

It is either cables or wires you are going to have to run and cables are at least robust.

And like I said, you are going to have to put ALL of the controls, including the screen of the tuner somehow into the box. Good luck to you but this is WAY too much work for me to consider.

slacker

Assuming you've already figured out how to mount the pedals or circuit boards into your enclosure. The easiest solution is simply to go down the remote switch route I linked to earlier rather than trying to true bypass the pedals.

msurdin

Thanks for that help.

I already have fitted the boss pedals into my enclosure. Its made out of wood like the cornish enclosures.

Someone told me about doing something to the switching system that will always keep it on.
And since it will be inside this enclosure I wont always be able to go inside and turn it on. And those boss pedals whenever they loose power and it comes back they stay off. Atleast for me.

And wiring the boss pedal into the true bypass box is the best option for me.

So what I am most conserned about right now is finding out this mod that always keeps the power on in a boss pedal, and how I can wire it up to  true bypass box. (the true bypass box will have no jacks just wiring from pedal to pedal.

Thanks for all your guys help

slacker

If you add remote switches you don't need to make the pedal always stay on. The pedal will work exactly the same as it does normally, all you've doing is replacing the little microswitch in the pedal with a stomp switch.

msurdin

So your saying if i add a electro harmonix 3pdt switch it will turn on when I hit it on and off when i hit it off? Will the led work like this? Will it then be true bypass? How do I do this?

slacker

Here's what you do to quote Mark Hammer

Quote from: Mark Hammer on February 20, 2006, 10:04:56 AM
  • for Boss-type switching, find which side of the existing switch connects to ground and tie that to jack ground; now run a line from the other side/contact of the momentary switch to the jack "hot"/tip lug
  • for Boss-type pedals, wire up a series of 2 conductor (no need for shielding) mono phone plugs and run the wires to a remote momentary switch

In your case just get a momentary stompswitch and wire it to the existing switch like explained above. The LED will work exactly like it did before.
It's not true bypass but for Boss pedals there's no real advantage to true bypassing them.

msurdin

The way i'm building my enclosure I'm going to have all the controls out of the boss housing and and I want to use a mxr or eh style switch.

The true bypass box way seamed good, it was just the fact of making it always stay on.

Thanks for taking your time with this

Processaurus

Hi, one case for using the FET bypass of the TU-2 is that it uses 6 times as much power when its on, it goes in a shutdown mode when its bypassed you see.  It might be more prone to make digital chirps that get picked up by the signal or in the power lines if its on all the time.  They took the trouble to stuck a little metal hood on the input jack to attempt to shield it, makes me suspect its prone to adding noise otherwise.

jonathan perez

Quote from: msurdin on February 28, 2007, 04:07:28 PM
So your saying if i add a electro harmonix 3pdt switch...

dont spend too much on them switches...

smallbearelectronics.com
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

msurdin

I think I might just keep that tuner out of the board. I'll find something else.

Now its just how to keep the bd2 and ge7 always on and wire it into a true bypass box.

Is there really a mod to always keep it on? Someone on here told me there is but now i think i might be going crazy.

thanks a lot guys