The "Picture" thread - a request

Started by JonFrum, February 28, 2007, 11:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonFrum

Last I heard, about half of all people were still on dial-up like me. I seem to have a particularly slow connection  >:(  and as a result, I really can't follow the Pictures thread posting. Start with multiple, fairly large graphics - which is good - and then add people "quoting" other guy's pics to say "those are great!", and you end up with such graphic-intensive pages that I could go outside and cut the grass in the time it takes to load the page.
So I was thinkin'... if the pedal pics could be put on a thumbnail page, guys like me could actually see them, and the proud posters could have their work seen by more people. Any chance of a "Gallery" format for pics?

slacker

I way going to raise this exact point the other day after one page of the pictures thread took 6 minutes to load.
I think the simplest answer is for people to resize their pictures so they're below about 100k, that should be enough for the pictures to still look good but the pages wouldn't take forever to load.

QSQCaito

I lived that situation a lot, hopefully now ive got broadband. What I suggest is using imageshack.us and it's thumbnail for forum. Pictures will look like these:

It's imageshack thumbnail for forums(1)
D.A.C

JonFrum

That would be great. I understand why people "quote" other pics, but when two guys do it for the same pics on the same page, you get three copies on the same pics on the same page. I really like to see the great work builders are doing, but I just can't justify the time online when there are pedals to build on the bench.   :icon_mrgreen:

JimRayden

If I understand the Internet correctly, it actually loads each pic once and just uses that loaded pic for every quote or repost from then on. If each one of them is appearing as slowly as the first, it's more a matter of the computer's ability to process graphics.

Don't get me wrong though, I too find the picture-filled quotings annoying.

---------
Jimbo

joegagan

good idea for a rule
no quoting pictures,just isn't needed
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

The Tone God

Its not just the bandwidth issue but also how well people's machine can render the images when flipping through and of course a readability issue.

Agreed, it should be pointed out that when quoting remove images.

Andrew

John Lyons

Dial up here as well (rural location, and the only service we can get)

When pics are downloaded the quoted pics are included...doesn't add time as the original pic downloaded is the same one in the quote.

For myself I use the "save for web" feature in photoshop which cuts the file size in half if not more. Pics look ok and load faster. Grandted not everyone uses photoshop....

Just in case dial up users out there don'y know about it, try using Mozilla " Firefox" as your server instead of Internet Explorer. Faster and easier...

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

John, how do you use that feature, do you have to do the saving during page load? or is it some preset you have?
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Roobin

Ooops! Picture replying - guilty. And I have dial up! (But I was using broadband at school).

Just a point about Firefox - it's cool, I'm using it now, but whenever after using it I sweep using Spybot S&D, it comes up with a load of adds n trackers - any other get this?

The Tone God

Quote from: Roobin on February 28, 2007, 05:46:29 PM
Just a point about Firefox - it's cool, I'm using it now, but whenever after using it I sweep using Spybot S&D, it comes up with a load of adds n trackers - any other get this?

With Firefox using the popup blocker and other sensible settings, never. Only when using IE which can DIAF.

Andrew

Fuzzy-Train

+ 1 I rarely ever get trackers or things like that. Maybe 2-3 every month.
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

Roobin

TG - what do you mean by "sensible settings"? Current add-ons - DOM inspector and Google toolbar. Just upgraded to newest version.

The Tone God

Quote from: Roobin on February 28, 2007, 06:24:23 PM
TG - what do you mean by "sensible settings"? Current add-ons - DOM inspector and Google toolbar. Just upgraded to newest version.

Block popups, limit javascript, limit java (I actually turn it off most of the time), limit cookies, limit addon sites.

Get rid of the google's toolbar. Add google to your search engines that are available from the inline search function that comes with Firefox. I think the Google search engine comes already installed with Firefox. If not adding it is easy.

Addons that you should have are Adblock Plus, Adblock Filterset.G Updater, and NoScript.

Andrew

Pushtone

Quote from: slacker on February 28, 2007, 01:00:59 PM
resize their pictures so they're below about 100k, 

Ah good old net-ediquate, some-what forgotten these days.

100k sounds like a good limit. Heck, most images should be 40-60k.

I supose Aron could impalment a file size cap. But folks should conserve bandwidth
on their own, like conserving energy by turning off the lights.

More annoying to me in the pictures thread are the ones fresh out of an 8 megapixel camera
some 3000 x 1700 pixel that make those darn secondary scroll bars appear.

I never bother to scroll those over-sized mothers.

here are some handy number to use when resizing pictures for viewing on a computer monitor, as in "screen resolution".

H pixels  x  V pixels = Description

160 x 120 = very small, thumbnail.
320 x 240 = small image and typical net video (YouTube) size.
640 x 480 = Med size image, good for emailing an image with lots of detail.
800 x 600 = Large image on a typical comp monitor. Some folk are still using 800x600 resolution monitors so it would fill thei screen
1024 x 768 = Very large image that could make an ok 3x5 print. This was the most common screen resolution untill just lately.
1600 x 1200 = Super large image. At this point we've gone beyound "screen" resolution and into "print" rez.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

JonFrum

I use Firefox, and have pop-up blocker - works fine. The problem may be the massive size of the pics more than the quotes - I dunno. I use IrfanView - free - to resize graphics from my camera and change to jpeg. A pic size limit would be nice, thumbs even better.

John Lyons

Quote from: joegagan on February 28, 2007, 05:33:33 PM
John, how do you use that feature, do you have to do the saving during page load? or is it some preset you have?

Joe

It is a preset in photoshop
(In adobe photoshop) once you have a pic the way you want it, go to the "file" drop down screen and choose "save for web" it shows you the exact size and resolution of your pic as it will look on the net. What you see there is what you will see on the net.
I usually size photos 600 pixels across for a pic that will fill half the screen.
Almost always under 100Kmb  but usually 80K or less.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Dan N

Dial-up here too.

I love big images, but would really prefer a thumbnail and a link to the full size image.

Whatever, the photos thread rules! We have some very creative (and strange) posters here.