Alternative components

Started by Opencan, March 01, 2007, 03:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opencan

I went to buy components for several effect pedals and couldn't find some of the components, so I figured this will be a good place to search for recommendations for alternative options :)

What can be used instead of the J201 in this circuit:
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album77/AMZ_MiniBooster_perf_layout
What can be used instead of the 1N34a in an Orange Squeezer?
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album77/Orange_Squeezer_LAYOUT_perf
What silicon diodes can be used in a Fuzz Face? (Germaniums are seem to be pretty rare. found some, but with 30-90 hFE)
and what could be used instead of the J201 in the Thor circuit:
http://www.runoffgroove.com/thor.html  ?

And should I yet search for the original components or if the substitutes are equal enough? (I know that I'll keep looking for Ge's for the fuzz face)
For now I just want them to work, even if not at their full potential  :-X

Thanks in advanced :)

choklitlove

for transistors: http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Dragonfly-FX-layouts/TRANSISTOR_SUBSTITUTION_CHART

looks like the J201 can be replaced with 2N5457, NTE458, or MPF102.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fetmatch/fetmatch.htm
......like ALL geofex articles, worth reading (more than once).
As for the J102 vs MPF201, they CAN be the same, but they MIGHN'T be!

choklitlove

where do you live?  are you against ordering components online?

that's how almost everyone does it and i guarantee you we could find an easy cheap fast place to order from that will have those parts. 
the ones you named aren't rare at all.  they might be rare at a radioshack, though!
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

Opencan

Choklitlove, thanks for the input. I live in israel, shipping rates are HIGH. I've spent 180 NIS (=about 43USD) on resistors and capasitors for 5 effect pedals, 30cm on perfboard, 5 stereo and 4 mono jacks, 6 battery clips, 7 potentionmeters, 5x 2N4548s, 2x 386, solder sucker (the cheapest), 4 crocodile slips, sockets for the tranies and ICs. Well, it isn't that cheap, but I don't think its a bad price (and i probably forgot some things). Ordering online requiers shipping fees and having a credit card, which are pretty much of a problem for me right now. Anyhow, later on, if I'll get a bit more serious about it I'll order online in bulk so I'll have enough components for a large number of effects so the shipping cost will be lower per effect.
What DOES make me worry is the quility of the components in israel, which seems really low.

Paul Perry, I've read it, but it doesn't really help me right now. I'm just hunting for parts to start exploring around. later on I'm sure it will come to a use :)

as for the diode, what can be used as a substitute?

do I need high, medium or low gain transistors for the fuzz face?

the 2N4547s older brother, the 2N4548 will work just as well? It should only have a higher power rating, yet I'm not 100 percent possitive about how much it makes a difference. (accept for the cost)

and I forgot about the TL071 for the Thor so I'll buy it today, are there any known substitues for it in case they won't have it? (can't get to the elec. shops again in the soon future, I'm staying at my family near by there, but my home is far far away from any electronics shop)

JimRayden

See if you can get any 1N60's. They look very cool in the black glass container and they're about twice the size of a 1N34.

As to fuzz face gains: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fftech.htm
Read this article and you'll know lots more about yer 'Face.

---------
Jimbo

coxter

i have a question... lets say in a bsiab2, there are 2 x j201 and 4 x 2n5457.
wouldnt substituting the 5457 make everything j201? will it still work?

Auke Haarsma

yeah it will still work. Maybe some tweaking/biassing needed, but they will sound good. (a little different though)

markm

1N270 will work in the O/S as well but, if you can't source the 1N34a the 270 is doubtful too I'm sure.

mdh

I don't think anyone has mentioned that the 1n34A is a germanium diode, so unless I'm mistaken, you can probably sub just about any germanium diode for it. And don't worry, germanium diodes aren't as hard to come by as germanium transistors.

alextheian-alex

Quote from: Opencan on March 01, 2007, 04:52:07 AM
Choklitlove, thanks for the input. I live in israel, shipping rates are HIGH. I've spent 180 NIS (=about 43USD) on resistors and capasitors for 5 effect pedals, 30cm on perfboard, 5 stereo and 4 mono jacks, 6 battery clips, 7 potentionmeters, 5x 2N4548s, 2x 386, solder sucker (the cheapest), 4 crocodile slips, sockets for the tranies and ICs. Well, it isn't that cheap, but I don't think its a bad price (and i probably forgot some things). Ordering online requiers shipping fees and having a credit card, which are pretty much of a problem for me right now. Anyhow, later on, if I'll get a bit more serious about it I'll order online in bulk so I'll have enough components for a large number of effects so the shipping cost will be lower per effect.
What DOES make me worry is the quility of the components in israel, which seems really low.

Paul Perry, I've read it, but it doesn't really help me right now. I'm just hunting for parts to start exploring around. later on I'm sure it will come to a use :)

as for the diode, what can be used as a substitute?

If you want to send me a private message with your shipping info, I'll drop you a few 1N34a.  i doubt it would cost me more than a dollar to send over a letter sized envelope.

coxter

Hi I have a substitution related question.

Read Dragonfly's substitution chart.
Seems like the NPN section is based on hFe Values,

I wonder if it's the same for the JFETs ? Because I've just ran through the J201 and 2N5457 datasheets.
Can't find anything relating to their hFe, maybe it doesnt work that way for Jfets...
Or maybe I just dont know where to look?

Can someone help me out here? I'm trying to build a BSIABII, and I've got a grab bag of 20 x J201's from aron.
Just wana know how similar or different they are from each other.

hmmm... or maybe some of you guys can spare me a few 5457 you dont need, I'll buy it from you