Where to find 2.2M resistors

Started by stratking, September 15, 2003, 08:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stratking

Hey all, I just found this forum and it seems like a great way to learn how to get a few pedals under my belt.  For my first pedal I am using the plans from http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Library/1355/beginners.htm  and I have everything all wired up and together except for one thing.  The plans call for a 2.2M resistor but unfortunately I can't find one anywhere.  I have looked at radio shack, in both the store and their online cataglog.  I have checked out Angela's and Parts Connection and have yet to find this resistor.  Is there something I'm missing or is this just a hard part to find?

Thanks,

stratking

tboy

Until you find one, connecting two 1M resistors in series should be close enough (if you have room for them).
-tb

Andy

try http://www.smallbearelec.com and order some resistors.  Just tell him in the notes section what you want.  Steve is a great guy and will help you out.  

If you have no luck, you could simply put two 1 meg resistors together in series and that will total 2 megs (not sure if 1.1 is a common value).  If you can't find an actual 2.2M, I would suggest doing that.
Andy

petemoore

Between 2m and 2.2m in certain ckts you might even be able to tell any differenc for that application
 You can build the exact value resistance using the dmm to measure the added or divided values
 take two  1m resistors seriesed measure the R [will be close to 2m], subtract the difference from 2.2m...and add the difference using the closest value you have [about 200k]...
 1mx2=2m      2m+200k=2.2m
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

1wahfreak

Mouser also makes a 2.2M resistor. The part # is ME271-2.2M

Mike

Peter Snowberg

Welcome stratking,

If I don't have an exact oddball value, I just grab a pot and a meter, dial the value in, and plug it into the circuit. That way you can play with the value a bit to make it sound best to you before selecting a final value. Remember that tolerance on some parts is pretty loose. This is especially true for transistors.

This trick is more useful for lower values since 5M pots are not common in everybodies junkbox, but in this instance you could try a 1M in series with a 470K (or better a 680K) in series with a 1 meg trimpot.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation