Rebote 2.5 PT chip substitutions to analog... possible?

Started by Fuzzy-Train, March 01, 2007, 08:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy-Train

With some info from a previous thread I found out the PT chip in my Rebote is digital....but  I was under the impression/told that it was analog :icon_rolleyes:

I would really prefer not to have digital effects in my chain that can be analog just with a simple chip swap if possible.

The SAD1024A that's used in the EHX Dlx Electric Mistress I think is an 16 pin chip that could work in my rebote, but I can't find a data sheet for it... does anyone know if this chip will work with the Rebote 2.5?

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok

Anybody know of more non-digital 16 pin chips that can be used in this circuit? I don't mind if it decreases the dealy time because I don't like using the delay knob all the way up anyways... I rarely ever go past 12 o'clock.

Thanks for the help in advance.
THERE IS NO SIG.

The user formerly known as NoNothing.

Stuff I built!
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w106/Cpt_sergeant/?start=allRandom

markm

To my knowledge there are no subs for the 2399.
Why would you want to change it.....? ???

$uperpuma

Quote from: markm on March 01, 2007, 11:20:35 PM

x2  If you like the way it sounds, theres no need to change it just for the sake of digital vs. analog...
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

calculating_infinity

I used to be worried about digi vs analog pedals in my chain and really it shouldn't matter.  What you think sounds good is what matters!  You could try getting an Arion SAD-3 for cheap and rehousing/modding if you're looking for an analog delay alternative.  I need to get one now that I think of it!

-Jonathan

Fuzzy-Train

LOL, I hope this doesn't become a digital VS. analog thread.

Don't get me wrong I like the way it sounds, and think it's a great pedal, but I was told that it was analog when I bought it, which was ONE of the reasons why I bought it (the other reasons were that I wanted a delay, and the price was right LOL). I just never really liked digi pedals, except this one, and I never wanted to have a digi pedal in my chain because they sounded like crap to me.

I just wanted to check if I could make it analog to see if I like it even more, or if I can hear any differences and whatnot.

THERE IS NO SIG.

Stuff I built!

propadog

Quote from: NoNothing on March 02, 2007, 12:08:39 AM
I just never really liked digi pedals, except this one, and I never wanted to have a digi pedal in my chain because they sounded like crap to me.
There goes that theory, huh...  :'(  Doncha hate it when you disprove you're own theory- I do it all the time!  :D

Maybe it's easier not to change pedals, but change attitudes, perspectives, prejudices, or what you want to call it (funny how all those words sound offensive these days- I'm not meaning to be, I can't think of another word.) Judge a pedal on its merits.

Anyway, I wouldn't call the Rebote massively digital. So it's got a 2399 in it. :o

When you're on stage, no one can see your pedalboard, let alone inside the pedals. And if you're in a band and a pedal sounds wrong, don't worry. My experience is that they'll let you know- very quickly.  ;)

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: NoNothing on March 02, 2007, 12:08:39 AMand I never wanted to have a digi pedal in my chain because they sounded like crap to me.
I just wanted to check if I could make it analog to see if I like it even more, or if I can hear any differences and whatnot.

If it is his experience (not prejudice!) that digi pedals don't sound as good as 'analog' pedals, then it's perfectly logical for him to not want a digital pedal. Your experience may differ. His attitude is open "I just wanted to check if I could make it analog to see if I like it even more, or if I can hear any differences and whatnot.". So instead of attacking him for saying he dislikes digital, based on his experiences (but wants to try and hear the difference none theless) you could just let him find out what he likes best.

Processaurus

The PT chip uses sigma delta A/D and D/A conversion, it is a totally different process from other digital stuff.  It uses 1 bit, is clocked in the MHz, and describes the audio as a sequence of different slopes, rather than stair steps.

A BBD analog delay actually resembles regular digital conversion (the output is stairstepped) closer than the PT chip, because it has a clock which limits the frequency resolution.  The frequency is very low too, compared to 44.1kHz digital audio (8kHz, 4kHz).

The line is a little blurry.

Here's some more on sigma delta and the PT chips from Peter Snowberg, if you're interested in learning what goes on beyond some general labels.

propadog

Quote from: ponq on March 02, 2007, 03:50:03 AM
Quote from: NoNothing on March 02, 2007, 12:08:39 AMand I never wanted to have a digi pedal in my chain because they sounded like crap to me.

If it is his experience (not prejudice!) that digi pedals don't sound as good as 'analog' pedals, then it's perfectly logical for him to not want a digital pedal. Your experience may differ. His attitude is open "I just wanted to check if I could make it analog to see if I like it even more, or if I can hear any differences and whatnot.". So instead of attacking him for saying he dislikes digital, based on his experiences (but wants to try and hear the difference none theless) you could just let him find out what he likes best.

If you read my comment- properly this time- you will see that

1. I am pointing out that he has admitted he may have been wrong;

2. I was not attacking him, and actually said so; and

3. I was suggesting that wanting to modify a pedal that up until now he was completely happy with solely because he found out that it had a 2399 in it was probably not a wise course of action.

I hardly would call that an open mind- he's looking for a reason not to like it. And given someone else here was recently hammered for wanting to do an analog reverb circuit when a mega cheap Behringer reverb could do such a better job, I don't see the problem.

Maybe if my name was RG or any others in The Clique around here, I would have had a very valid point. Except I wouldn't have commented- I would just have posted a link to something remotely relevant somewhere else.

But I'm not, so even though my electronics experience includes working on the prototypes for this when it was still Jindalee (http://defence-data.com/features/fpage37.htm), it's impossible for me to have a valid point. Gees. What would I know.

Since you have not actually contributed to the conversation except to publically try and deride me, go away, you nobody.  ;D

Auke Haarsma

To me your reply seems to add to the picture... you don't seem to like some1 disagreeing with you.

If I, mr nobody for sure -no degree, experience or qaulification in electronics whatsoever-, confront you with what you said, you seem to take it very personally. It's not my goal to attack you personally at all. If you take it that way, I'm sorry. But it is still your responsiblity, not mine, how you take my words.

1. is a great achievement.
2. Saying you don't attack him, and at the same time asking for different attitude towards digital/analog is not the same. Maybe his attitude is perfectly ok. To me it is. Willing to experiment, sounds cool to me.
3. no comment
4. This forum is pretty nice and easy on new members. Some posters have earned a lot of respect. RG for one. But many more. I'm sure that, given time and if you post/share some of your knowledge, this forum (incl me, a nobody) would be very happy with that knowledge.
My contribution btw is disagreeing with you. I understand you don't think that's a contribution. That's ok. It still is ;)

pyrop

I believe the Holtek HT8970 is equal to the PT2399.

pyrop ;D

cakeworks

If you were happy with how it was before you knew then sorry but it sounds pretty lame to want to change it simply because you found out later that it was digital... if your ears cant tell the difference then you shouldn't bother.

I know people who judge good tone on whether or not it the effects/amp is digital. Regardless of how it sounds, when it's turned on they are like "sounds crap"... Makes me want to rehouse some analog effects into a pod case and see if they write that off simply because of the casing.

Its amazing what one's ears preset to hear when they think something should sound a certain way.
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

markm

Quote from: pyrop on March 02, 2007, 06:37:12 AM

I believe the Holtek HT8970 is equal to the PT2399.

pyrop ;D

Interesting....Thanks!

Fuzzy-Train

I think some of you have selective reading/hearing... I still like this pedal, but like I said in my last post, last sentence:

"I just wanted to check if I could make it analog to see if I like it even more, or if I can hear any differences and whatnot. "

You see... if I like it despite the fact it's digi, and I've never liked digi pedals, maybe I'll like it even more if it's analog.  :icon_wink:

I have no prejucides with digi pedals, just what I've experienced with commercial pedals... which has almost never been positive. I've only been using effects for about 3-4 of the 8 yrs I've been playing, before that it was just a crappy prac. amp, and an acoustic. But as things got more serious I got a tube amp and some effects, and it just so happens that most, if not all, the digi effects I had tried sucked, and after researching some pedals I found out that most of the digital ones were the ones I didn't like.

Thanks for the help guys.
THERE IS NO SIG.

Stuff I built!