Rangemaster Help from GGG

Started by msurdin, March 04, 2007, 11:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msurdin

I just build the rangemaster from GGG. I love the sound but I really want to be able to have control of the tone. I was wondering if there is any way I can put a control for tone.

Thanks alot!

SysCrusher

Quote from: msurdin on March 04, 2007, 11:49:20 AM
I just build the rangemaster from GGG. I love the sound but I really want to be able to have control of the tone. I was wondering if there is any way I can put a control for tone.

Thanks alot!

Check out JoeGagan's post.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=54971.msg421557#msg421557

In it you'll see a tone control that works just great. I wire mine a little different than that but his example is fool proof.

msurdin

Alright thanks. I'm still learning stuff so where on the board ( http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/geb_rm_lo_pp.gif ) and how do I add the control?

Thanks for your help and patience.

petemoore

Looks like it'd be placed where the .005 input cap was.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

msurdin

Can I wire a pt there so I can change the tone externally? Or just a trim pot inside would work?

If i can use a pot on the outside would I just solder it to points 1 and 3?

Ucho

You can use something similar to the tone control on Apollo and Orange Treble&Bass bossters.

(The the schematics are from Geofex)

petemoore

On the box pot, that way you can adjust the treble control...

msurdin

On the box pot?
Do you mean just a pot ontop of the enclosure?

As it was said before it would be placed where the .005 cap is.

How would I wire the pot into it?

Thanks

petemoore

Rangemaster input cap blocks DC, being a small value, it's resistance increases as frequency decreases, bass is rolled off.
  Larger uf value input caps low frequency rolloff 'begins' at a lower frequency, 10uf has very low resistance to all the frequencies we're concerned with, and will 'sound bass', and treble. 
  Capacitors block DC, the huge-est value cap passes the lowest of frequencies..just somewhere above' DC, small caps only let 'higher' frequencies through.
  So...with both caps parallel, the value is greater than either one, and all frequencies a guitar makes goes through, [caps in parallel ..add values].
  Rangemaster input cap wiring:
  Signal input ---.005 ---Circuit input
=================================
  The input cap replaced with a passive mixer circuit:
                            .005uf
  Signal input <                    >Circuit input [base of Q]
                        10uf / pot
=================================
  With the pot fully CCw [0 resistance] low frequencies see no resistance into the circuit, through the 10uf..it sounds bassy.
  With the *pot fully Cw, there is *resistance to all frequencies through the 10uf/pot path, so not much gets through that way, 'higher' frequencies can still find thier way through the .005uf..it sounds trebly.
  Adjusting the pot mixes the two selective frequency signal paths.
  Take a look at AMZ's R/C calculator.

alderbody

Here's my take on the rangemaster input cap thing:

It's a 6-pos (if i remember well) switch loaded with caps, replacing the "stock" .005uF.

great sounds all over, but the sound of that old .15uF i took from a 60's Zenith TV set, is outstanding!

msurdin

So from PeteMoore's post it seamed to me like i would get a 10uf pot (where would I get this) and solder the cap on it and wire it pretty much like a guitar tone pot? It that right or just totaly wrong?

slacker

Take a 100k or larger pot and a 1uF or larger capacitor. Wire them up like this

Solder point A to the spare solder pad to the left of C1.
Solder point B to the spare solder pad in between the vertical jumper and R4.

That will give you a tone control that goes from full range boost to treble boost.

msurdin

Great thanks!
I wonder what It will sound like turning it all down with the boost all up.
For certain songs i think i would like it with more bass and others with more treble.

Do you know anything about the "Brian may treble booster" compaired to the "May Queen Booster"?

thanks for all the help guys

msurdin

2 questions

1, How would I wire this if i want to remove the dc jack?

2, for the tone Do i keep the C1, and C2 caps in?

Thanks

petemoore

2 questions

1, How would I wire this if i want to remove the dc jack?
  What's 'this'?..battery for proper polarity DC supply I guess.
2, for the tone Do i keep the C1, and C2 caps in?
  This is part of the Joe G. Mod?
  I don't understand, it has nothing to do with DC power supply.