The "Poor Mans" SparkleDrive!

Started by markm, March 04, 2007, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dachshund

I recently built the Sparkle drive, so I'm curious: is the Srinkle designed to avoid using a dual-ganged pot?

Mark Hammer

Not so much "avoid" as "not require".  Many people tend to find less local choice in dual-ganged pots (if there is any choice at all), so folks tend to design in a manner that doesn't require them.

But you're right, though.  It would be possible to design a comparable circuit where there are counteracting volume controls for each channel.  Just keep in mind that pots containing a log and antilog resistive element (eseentially what you'd need for a dual level-mixing control) are very hard to find.

markm

Quote from: dachshund on March 06, 2007, 02:31:16 PM
I recently built the Sparkle drive, so I'm curious: is the Srinkle designed to avoid using a dual-ganged pot?

The word from gm is that the schem for the SparkleDrive has errors.....any problems with your build?

dachshund

Not that I noticed - nothing obvious. This is the schmatic I used: http://home.hetnet.nl/~chrisdus/download/VLSD.jpg
Actually, I saw another version that didn't tie the 4.5V reference to the spot where the ganged pots are connected. The schematic I used has this connection, the other did not. Maybe that makes a difference, it would leave an opamp not biased correctly. ??

Rob Strand

Markm, thanks for the Qudos.

The sparkle drive was designed with a single gang pot in mind.   The circuit was made a minimal as possible.  The only thing I had to trade off/juggle was the amount of clean boost in full clean mode.

You can use a different taper pot to change where the balance point is in the centre of the blend adjustment (if you need a reverse log you can use an easire to get log in reverse provided you accept the clean/distortion direction is reversed - no big deal).

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

markm

I have to say Rob, my hat's off to you!
This circuit does sound fabulous in it's original form and has all sorts of possibilities for the tweakers too!
I would imagine the clean channel could be incorporated into some other effects such as a comp or fuzz with tremendous results!
Build this thing.....it's worth it! 8)

WGTP

Using Rob's schematic, ad a notch filter after the clipping diodes, make the "clean" op amp a TS type circuit, rolling off the lows and highs so that the mids are opposite the notch in the other section, and you have something very simliar to the Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

markm

Quote from: WGTP on March 08, 2007, 01:09:08 PM
Using Rob's schematic, ad a notch filter after the clipping diodes, make the "clean" op amp a TS type circuit, rolling off the lows and highs so that the mids are opposite the notch in the other section, and you have something very simliar to the Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion.   :icon_cool:

Interesting!  8)

WGTP

evertonberger

Hi I've built this babe and I've been using this circuit with my jazz bass now... the mods i've made are the same of the TS fat and this rocks!!!!

markm

Nice!
I'm extremely excited about this particular circuit.
It's seems as though it a "sleeper" in the DIY community and really deserves some attention.
Thanks for the support!  ;D

WGTP

I was talking to my son about the OS-2 and he discribed the blend effect as going from '80's mid-rangey to '90's notched mid.  I'm not real keen on mixing in clean signal, but the circuit is appealing in that the "clean" path can be made into a number of things to "mix" with the distortion path.   :icon_cool:

markm

Quote from: WGTP on March 09, 2007, 10:27:06 AM
I'm not real keen on mixing in clean signal, but the circuit is appealing in that the "clean" path can be made into a number of things to "mix" with the distortion path.   :icon_cool:

Absolutely.
I think there is alot of "tweak" and mod potential here although, even in stock form, I like it!