Tone Bender!!!

Started by alderbody, March 05, 2007, 04:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alderbody

What a great pedal!

I built one yesterday out of lying_around parts and i was amazed. Boxed it instantly!

I used:

Q1 Sanyo 2SA202 (64Hfe), Q2 Sanyo 2SA203 (77Hfe) and a Matsushita 2SA100 (Hfe 120) for Q3, all taken from my grandma's old radios...
The input cap is a FRAKO 4.7uF electro i found in a local shop, the gain cap is a 4.7uF NP, the coupling .1uF is a Wima PolyPro and the output cap is an Orange drop.
I applied the modern mods (47K instead of 100K, 1k2 instead of 470Ohm, 20K trimmer instead of 8k2, 1M anti-pop and 2K gain pot)

Beautiful rich Germanium tone.

here are some closeups:

Steben

Damn, I Like that "sputnik" look of the trannies in those days!  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

g3rmanium

Call me Johann.

alderbody

I'm afraid not... at least not now...

but it's indeed very simple. Imagine a Fuzz Face circuit with an added transistor in the input side (almost).

simple and great sounding build!

alderbody

Quote from: Steben on March 05, 2007, 06:38:24 AM
Damn, I Like that "sputnik" look of the trannies in those days!  ;D

yes, magnificent looks!...

mine are "reliced", too...   :icon_mrgreen:

jmusser

Which version is this? I've made two or 3 different versions, and they've all been great, especially the Jumbo Tone Bender. I used Russian transistors for mine. I have used some of the 2S Japanese series of transistors like you're showing, in other fuzzes, and they do a good job. Did you strip those out of something?
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

alderbody

Quote from: jmusser on March 05, 2007, 08:27:23 AM
Which version is this? I've made two or 3 different versions, and they've all been great, especially the Jumbo Tone Bender. I used Russian transistors for mine. I have used some of the 2S Japanese series of transistors like you're showing, in other fuzzes, and they do a good job. Did you strip those out of something?

I followed the shematic of the MK-II but with the "modern" appointments i described above.

The trannies were removed from my late Grandma's old radios...  (That's what i call heritage... ;))

I removed many devices and most (if not all) of them were good!

nightingale

Hey Alder,
How do yuou like those WIMA caps. Roger Mayer uses those, and I have been keeping my eye on them in mouser's book.
I am asking about the mixed film ones. The poly ones are around $6-$8 depending.

thanks,
ry

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

tcobretti

Just today I was listening to a Zep boot where Pagey is clearly using his TB MkII, and it sounded great.  So when I got home I dug mine out (Si w/ PN2369As using the GGG/RDV schem), and reveled in how great it sounds.  I LOVE the way my MkII's gain pot works.  At it's lowest setting it's very Page like and adds a bit of low gain fuzz, but as the gain knob gets cranked it gets fuzzier and more kazoo like.

I highly, highly recommend everybody build this one.  It is truly a classic fuzz. 

alderbody

Quote from: nightingale on March 05, 2007, 11:36:26 AM
Hey Alder,
How do yuou like those WIMA caps. Roger Mayer uses those, and I have been keeping my eye on them in mouser's book.
I am asking about the mixed film ones. The poly ones are around $6-$8 depending.

thanks,
ry

Well ry,

the (polypro) Wimas are not quite for everywhere...

for instance, i hated them in any Wah configuration! I didn't quite dig the sound for an input cap in a rangemaster, too.

Of course, "good tone" perception is SUBJECTIVE...

I have some in other pedals (but not only polypros) and they sound good (to me...)

I can't recommend anything more than to try them and see for yourself, if your budget allows experiments.  ;)

alderbody

Quote from: tcobretti on March 05, 2007, 09:45:14 PM
I highly, highly recommend everybody build this one.  It is truly a classic fuzz. 

I couldn't agree more!...  ;)

alderbody

Quote from: nightingale on March 05, 2007, 11:36:26 AM
How do yuou like those WIMA caps?

about WIMA caps again,

last night i played with my ROG eighteen.
When i opened the box to check the guts, i (re)discovered that i built it using exclusively WIMA caps.

and it sounds great!...  ;)

some of them must have been polypros.