Tone control question

Started by dachshund, March 05, 2007, 10:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dachshund

I built the Sparkle Drive, http://home.hetnet.nl/~chrisdus/download/VLSD.jpg
and only had a 50K Audio pot for the tone control. I thought this was supposed to be audio taper.
When I crank it all the way towards "treble", it gets kind of distorted. Just a little.
Do you all think this would need an audio taper, or is linear just fine?

I don't care for the bass end of the range, so was thinking of replacing this with, say, a 10K resistor and a 10K pot. That would give more variation in the upper / treble range, correct?

Also, I was searching on tone controls and didn't find any with this same configuration. Is this a unique variation on tone control, in this circuit?

So far, I really like this pedal. I finished two pedals (my first successful builds), and got to try them at a gig - this one and the OD250. Both sounded great! My Tube Screamer may get put back in the box...

petemoore

When I crank it all the way towards "treble", it gets kind of distorted. Just a little.
Do you all think this would need an audio taper, or is linear just fine?

If you have two equal value pots, one linear taper, one audio taper, when they are both turned fully CCW or CW, they are the same resistance.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dachshund

markm

How would the circuit react to only a 50K Clean pot......it's the only dualie I have right now.  :-\