Sola Sound Tone Bender MKI - The Missing Link...

Started by vanessa, March 06, 2007, 10:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanessa

I came across this the other day. I would love to build one of these and take it for a ride around the block. Unfortunately most of the values are obscured. Maybe Mr. D*A*M would be very cool and help the DIY community out with them? (Please oh please!)  :icon_wink:

More info:

http://www.stompboxes.co.uk/gpage1.html2.html

tcobretti

I posted a gutshot a year or two ago, and we had a big conversation about it.  One of the smarter guys here sussed out that it was a FZ-1 clone, but I don't think a schem ever came out of it.  You outta email the guy who runs that site and see if he'll send you the schem.  That would be quite a coup.

Nice site though!  I'l have to check it out when I get home from work.

JHS

It's based on the FZ-1 but the circuit is slightly modded and some R-values had been adapted to the used trannies. It runs on 9V.
The common more known 2-trannie-Bender-circuit is called Mk 1.5,  this seems to be a Mk 1.0 or 1.3 but it's a pre-SOLA FX.

JHS

JHS

The first JH-Skews Zonk-Machine is s direct knock-off from this first Bender (other trannies with adapted R- and C-values, but I don't know if it's a copy from the Mk1.0 or Mk1.3). There is s schem on the web for the Z-machine, you can use it as a basic. I've seen another schem on the web called "Fuzzy Wuzzy" with a similar circuit layout.

JHS

vanessa

Yes there looks to be value changes conpared to the Zonk Machine schematic. That resistor over to the right is 47k. On the Zonk that must be the 56k to ground at the end of the circuit just before the 2M2. These and the Zonk are a little different compared to the FZ-1 (besides the 9V battery). They also mention on the D*A*M site (great site btw) that some of the values were changed to get more sustain out of it and that the MKI circuit kept changing. They said that Mick Ronson used it, and if the circuit kept evolving from the FZ-1 I could believe that. It was his main pedal.

vanessa

Update:

I've been told by David (D*A*M) that he wants to forward me 3 schematics of three different versions of the MKI that has and has seen. Also more gut shots. He has to draw up the schematics from his notebook first, but should have them for me to post in the next week or so. He told me he wants them to be known. I really have to hand it to him, he is a very nice person and has a very informative site. Now if we can get those original Jimi Hendrix pedal owners to do the same?  :icon_smile:

I'll keep you updated.

Ivana

vanessa, it is a very good news!
I wanna this schemes and hope to find it! Thanks you a lot!

markm

Dragonfly

That would be great to see. If you cant "post" them , i'd sure appreciate a PM or email with them !

:)

AC

vanessa

I'll post them in the layouts gallery (if it happens). David also said that the Zonk was very close in design but the MKI has a couple of things different about it. He also said that the later version MKI's were different from the earlier (thus the 3 schematics). He seems to be a very hip "free information for the people" kind of a guy. He also said that not knowing the values bugged him for years too (we're in the same boat).

tcobretti

Vanessa you rock for tracking these schems down!

vanessa

Why thank you, but it's David from D*A*M who deserves the credit. I'm just some dork who thinks all this stuff it cool...

:icon_rolleyes:

BarnabyHooge

Also, If you haven't used one of his pedals, you should track one down. I'm a fan of the MeatHead.

tcobretti

ulysses

id be pretty keen to get my grubby hands on them too!

love that page tone

cheers
ulysses