Electro Harmonix The Worm

Started by Rattlehead, March 06, 2007, 11:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rattlehead

hi.
i just wondered if you think it is possible to make a footswitch to every mode in this pedal? (it has 4 modes and 1 footswitch)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-The-Worm-Analog-MultiModulation-Effects-Pedal?sku=153322

Meanderthal

Certainly, the only catch being where on the enclosure to locate them.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Rattlehead

I think there's enough space between the footswitch on the left and the range knob.
has anyone here tried this pedal before?
does it worth the money?

Barcode80

decent pedal, but the autowah i expected more of an envelope filter from instead of just a boring set rate sweep. i just scored one for 30 bucks. i am hoping to find some more mods.

Rattlehead

how's the phaser?
and it's not really analog right?

puretube

it would only be possible to "footswitch" between 2 modes,
but not between a selected mode and bypass.

it is a very analog circuit - 3stage optical phaser;
(but NOT public domain!).

"autowah" is an often mis-interpreted description;

the LFO modulation was the reason why this pedal was designed upon special request...

pupina

Another big problem of this pedal is the noise!!!!! It's noisy in every sound you choose....does anyone has fixed this prob?

puretube

Mark Hammer

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ton, but did the earliest version of the Worm not exist in tube form, before it turned ito a solid-state E-H product?

And just to clarify,
Quote from: puretube on March 07, 2007, 05:38:13 AM
metalfilm resistors...
means that if you replace the 5% resistors currently in there with low noise metal film types, you'll get....lower noise!

sir_modulus

I thought it was the the wahbrato?

Mark Hammer

Sweetalk

I saw a review of this in the EHX DVD, it's nice.. I think it's some "all-you-can-get-from-an-optical-phaser"  :icon_mrgreen: . I'll be nice to add a Expression pedal to control the wah sweep, that i'll be much more usefull!!

puretube

first, there was the TUBE-PHASER (TM):

therefrom the TUBE-VIBE derived:

the TUBE-VIBWAHTO:

the WAH-CASTER:
(actually a TUBE-CHORUS (TM) with built-in TUBE-TRON (TM) &
built-in 2 x 12W pure tube stereo power amp with stereo-spreading...)

(dual- aka: "Bi-" LFO with the "On-LED/Off-LED" indicator trick to Vb & to gnd...  :icon_wink:)

as well as  the TUBE-WAHBRATO:

at that point, a man (Ted Pierce, demo-guitarist for E-H @ Frankfurt MusikMesse 1998) comes in
and plays the Tube-Wahbrato...
...mentions he needs something like that, with batteries, for street-music...

he especially wants a subtle, cyclicly modulated Wah...

subtle? - OK, leave out 3 of the 6 tube-stages, replace (EMULATE  :icon_razz:) the tubes with transistors,
and add an extra knob to control the resonance

next: M.M. emails he`d love to see such a pedal reduced to 3 pots so it`d fit into a BMP box... :

("Resonance" & "Dry-Wet" set to fixed values, and switched with the "Mode-selector" - that`s the reason why it`s
not so easy to stompswitch the modes)
(also, this switching arrangement calls for a large amount of high-ohm pulldown resistors, that cry for metalfilms...)

a few years later, I "googled" (in fact it was "yahoo`d", back then...) for the WORM (= 3-knob-Wahbrato)
after it was issued by E-H under that name,
and stumbled across this forum, where 3 certain forumites claimed to have the schemo of it.............

NEVER trust a schematic on the web!!!

Schemos for nuttin` and chips fer free?

later again, a combinational mod of the transistor 3-knob/3-stage mod with the original (4-)Tube-Wahbrato
led to the 2-tubed:

(which can be regarded as the legit "Tube-Worm"  :icon_mrgreen:)

[ps: can`t seem to find the `96 pic of the switchable Tube-Phaser/-Vibe pedal, that ought to be between the 2nd & 3rd pic...]

$uperpuma

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

RDV

Bringin' th' funk as usual Tonmeister.

RDV

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Nice to have the Word on the Worm :icon_smile:
I guess MM knows his market - but it's always sad to see a couple of useful controls forced out.

DWBH

Lets bump this.
The big enclosure Worm has been discontinued, having since been replaced by an XO version (BB sized diecast box). One (and I think the only) difference between these two is that the most recent version has an Expression pedal input.
Does anyone have a schematic for either (or both) pedals, so I can implement the EXP jack on an older versions?

puretube