recomend me a Boost build

Started by johnny5, March 07, 2007, 02:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny5

I am looking for a Boost pedal to build. I am sort of interested in the Tri-Boost from BYOC but it's kind of spendy and i don't know if i need three in one. what got me interested is a friends UNO-MAS from HBE. it seems like a real simple design and very effective. I believe the UNO-MAS is a mosfet boost.

then i saw the boost projects on GGG. they have the mosfet boost and the 3 different mini-boosters.

any experience with any of these? recomendations ona good sounding unit?

thanks,
Johnny

MikeH

Without asking anything about what sort of guitar/amp/other effects you're going to use it with I'll just say that my favorite is the AMZ MOSFET boost. 
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

96ecss

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the UNO-MAS but  I built the General Guitar Gadgets Mini-Booster as my first diy and I love it. It is not a clean boost though. It will change your sound (in a good way, as Jack Orman it's creator states) and even add some grit to it. If you're looking for a clean booster, the Mosfet Booster is a good choice. I built that one as my first diy on vero board. Great clean booster. It all depends on what you want. They are both very easy to build and use. Check out Jack Orman's web site at www.muzique.com for more info on his great boosters. You can purchase ready to solder pcb's from him  too.

Dragonfly has some great boosters in his gallery you might also want to check out.

Dave

markm

I think your referring to the Uno-Mos which is like this;

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/Homegrown_Single_Mos_LAYOUT

which is really a realtive of the mosfet boost from AMZ.
I like Jack's boost with the mod as found here;

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/Modified_MosFET_Booster_LAYOUT

wsgarner

I'm going to jump in here add clean boost question.

Clean boost at the end of the effects chain??? (I'm stomp box happy, so: volume, Wah, flanger, reverb, compressor, delay, distortion, noise gate, chorus, eq. That's my effects chain)
"Too old to make it big. Too young to give it up."

Scott

tonefreak

I have the Mini-Booster PCB from GGG and the AMZ-Boost on the way.  It would be good to test them side by side.

MikeH

Quote from: wsgarner on March 07, 2007, 03:26:48 PM
I'm going to jump in here add clean boost question.

Clean boost at the end of the effects chain??? (I'm stomp box happy, so: volume, Wah, flanger, reverb, compressor, delay, distortion, noise gate, chorus, eq. That's my effects chain)

That's a little different than how I like my effects order; generally I put the distortion up front.  But it is a matter of taste.  Putting a bootser before effects generally makes them more distorted and more saturated.  This is obviously true for distortions, but it is also true for non-distortion effects that are prone to distorting, such as phasers and flangers.  A boost at the end of your effects chain will give you more clean overhead from your pedal chain, but it can also be used to drive the preamp of your amp harder.  Which sounds great in tube amps, solid state is hit or miss.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

johnny5

Great! thanks for the tips! right now i am leaning toward the AMZ mosfet boost but think the mini-booster seems intriguing too. i guess making both is still not to tough.

jpm83

Dragonfly Sparkle Boost. Simple to make, great sound and grit control pot.

Janne

johnny5

Quote from: jpm83 on March 07, 2007, 04:47:05 PM

Janne

might you have a link handy?

lethargytartare

Quote from: jpm83 on March 07, 2007, 04:47:05 PM

Janne

+1

very simple, nice bright and clean boost.

I've also tried the Fetzer Valve, LPB1 and DOD201 (all available in the layouts gallery, I'm pretty sure) -- all were also very easy to build.  I think they colored the tone a bit more than the SB.  The Fetzer is supposed to be Fender-y.

My advice -- build 'em all (since they're so easy to make), and swap them in and out of a stomp-shell, and see which suits your taste best.

Happy Building!
ltt

cab42

• SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

MartyMart

+1 for the AMZ Mosfet Boost, but also consider :
RangeBlaster
Titan Boost
Mini Booster
Fat Boostered
Sparkle Boost
Java Boost

Search and ye shall find  :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

fixr1984

Mosfet boost. Also check out ROG's Peppermill.

petemoore

Gus's Mosfet Overdrive, or half of it even.

You might have to adjust the gate bias [see GEO mosfet boosters]
Convention creates following, following creates convention.