soldering single-in-line sockets

Started by dachshund, March 09, 2007, 07:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dachshund

Since SIP sockets don't have pins that can be bent to keep the little sockets from falling out, how do you all solder them on a board? Is glue the answer?

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ardric

I like to stick a part in them, like a MKT plastic box capacitor. It makes it easier to hold them with a finger.

moosapotamus

Those are usually the first things I install. I put them all into the board, put a piece of cardboard on top, flip it over, and solder. I brace the board from sliding around with a couple of hand tools.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

dachshund

petemoore

I use my extra left hand: middlefinger [the rest of my fingers and thumb would be holding the board]. Mounting the iron is not that wierd, very quick.
  It's possible to put a resistor through the board, bend the lead just right so that it pry's the socket pin in place, then wrap the other end around the board with tension and let go.
  On all them sockets I like to go down the row, or work from the inside out, I don't like when a pin to be soldered has limited access because of solder and wires already on both adjacent pins.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dennism

I just keep about a 2 inch piece of electrical tape stuck to the side of my building table.  Every time I need to solder a socket to a board, I just grab that piece of tape and hold the socket in place with it while I solder.  The I put the tape back on my desk.  I can get about a month out of a piece of tape before I have to break down and get a new one!