Tricks and Tips - Build a Test Rig

Started by mydementia, March 10, 2007, 05:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mydementia

How many of you can't let a new project pass you by?  Apparently, I have to build EVERY distortion circuit that gets posted (thanks a lot Marty! :icon_biggrin:).  I've been having trouble keeping stock of I/O and DC jacks - so taking the lead from Dano (http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/TestRig/) I built a test rig.  Mine is a very simple little box containing input/output jacks, DPDT on/bypass switch, on-off-on switch for any 'other' circuit switching, and Power Input.  I found a 20 strip bussbar in an old enclosure I bought recently (still too small for my LM3886 amp... but who could pass up all that aluminum, bussbar, and wire for $5?).  I used my dremel to cut the bussbar in half, then to polish the terminals (don't know what I did before I had a dremel!).  I put it on a piece of board I had laying around - made it big enough to fit a large circuit (since this is the first time I put power through the circuit - I needed a good 'base' for diddling trimmers). 
If you build a lot of circuits and only box the best ones - build a test bed today!!
Thanks for the inspiration Dano!!

Here's mine:

If you're looking close, the circuit I have hooked up there is my 'linear' layout for MartyMart's Tornado (GM's Beta1.1 schem).  Yes, this layout still has minimal background noise - but is no worse than a high gain amp sitting idle (sorry Basic - didn't recreate your background noise level).  I'm curious what Marty comes up with for rev2.0... the tones this thing produces are monsterous!!  I'll probably box this circuit up - might try shielding the I/O wires - just too good to toss in the box of misfit circuits.

Mike

gaussmarkov

awesome mike!  i still use an old reject box with wires hanging out every which way that i have to keep soldering back on.  :icon_biggrin:

and double awesome re the tornado build.  --gm

markm

Ya know, I Really need one of these!!
The only problem is the time it would take away from layouts and building circuits!!  :D
Great idea, thanks VERY much!

John Lyons

Mike

If your first build was so quiet why did you build it again? Not criticizing you...just curious...
I need to do something like this as well. I think I'm going to make a little portable desk like a TV tray that I can sit at while twisting knobs and trying out a circuit. ( my amps aren't at my bench)
Looks nice!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

jlullo

i'm in the process of building one of these.  I bought 15 different value pots (i know.  ridiculous) and am trying to assess my barrier strip situation.  I don't necessarily need to wire in a bypass switch, right?  how would i hardwire the PCB input and output to the jacks?

nevermind.. i'm a moron.  i just drew this out.  I don't know why at the time of asking this seemed so unclear to me.   :icon_rolleyes:

I shield- ground
I ring- +9v
I tip- "in" on circuit or pcb
O tip- "out" on circuit or pcb
O shield- ground/input shield