400k sub pot for 250...

Started by petemoore, September 15, 2003, 10:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

I've built the Sonic Distortion, and used a 400k for the drive pot [OA feedback loop calls out a 250k]
 What effect will having the larger value pot here make on the function of the ckt?
 Will the right size smaller pot here 'drive' the ckt more?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ammscray

Where did you find a 400K pot??

Anyways it's easy, just use a "cheater" resistor across the two outer lugs of the pot to bring down the value...probably a value between 330K and 470K should bring you right in the ballpark...if it's a log taper, it may make it a bit more linear, whether that's of any concern to you...
"Scram kid, ya botha me!"

Andy

If you use a higher value pot on the drive control, you will have more drive.  Simple.  Amscray described bringing down your pot closer to the correct value.

I would like to know also,....where in the world did you find a 400k pot?!  Are you sure it's not 500K?
Andy

petemoore

I've had it laying around for sometime [no schems have called for any so far] and it says 400k [stamped in the back] on it.
  anyway it's in there...werks bout like it should ... cuts the gain ... gains it up. No biggie cuz I don't worry much about taper types on drive pots because I leave em set for the most part anyway.
  Thanks for the posts guys...ya learn something every day if you read/post at Arons...

petemoore

I've had it laying around for sometime [no schems have called for any so far] and it says 400k [stamped in the back] on it.
  anyway it's in there...werks bout like it should ... cuts the gain ... gains it up. No biggie cuz I don't worry much about taper types on drive pots because I leave em set for the most part anyway.
  Thanks for the posts guys...ya learn something every day if you read/post at Arons...