cutting veroboard traces

Started by runmikeyrun, March 11, 2007, 12:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runmikeyrun

i thought i remember something about a specific tool for cutting them cleanly?  I really don't want to get in there with my xacto knife and do a shoddy job.  If there's no tool, what's the best/cleanest way to do it?
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Dragonfly

5mm drill bit...insert point into hole...twist by hand...shaves off copper nicely.

AC

db

There is a tool and it's worth getting one if you are going to be doing a lot of vero boarding.  It has a handle and doesn't cause cramp like a small drill can sometimes.

Dragonfly

Quote from: db on March 11, 2007, 03:30:04 PM
There is a tool and it's worth getting one if you are going to be doing a lot of vero boarding.  It has a handle and doesn't cause cramp like a small drill can sometimes.

I've done a "fair amount'" of work on vero, and never had a problem with the drill bit...and I have carpal tunnel syndrome !  doesnt bother me one bit...

That being said, the "proper tool" is never a bad idea...

AC

zachomega

I just use a razor knife...I cut the trace on both sides of the hole and then take the knife at an angle and take up all of the copper.  Works and is very easy. 

-Zach Omega

Hanglow

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

There is a short drill bit (double ended) that is sold for pop riviteng. Miraculously, it is EXACTLY the right size - and very cheap (often sold in bundles). I use it either in a drill (duh!) or, in a small drill chuck that mounts in a screwdriver type handle.
I've had one f those 'special' vero cutters - think they are called "face cutters" - but I like the pop rivet drills best.
Cutting vero with a blade? madness!
Whatever you use, always test with a meter to see whether you reall HAVE cut thru, and whether a sliver of metal has shorted to a parallel track... or test it when your build doesn't work, your choice :icon_wink:

StephenGiles

Rose countersink, never used anything else.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

aron

Dremel with drill bit. Effortless and really fast.

ambulancevoice

Quote from: zachomega on March 11, 2007, 03:52:32 PM
I just use a razor knife...I cut the trace on both sides of the hole and then take the knife at an angle and take up all of the copper.  Works and is very easy. 

-Zach Omega

same here
with a xacto
im gonna try the 5mm drill bit method though
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

MartyMart

I used to get blisters on my fingers from "bare" drill bit use. ( couldn't get any torque on it )
Bought a proper tool from ebay for £2.99  !!
Works great and takes just three turns for a very clean cut :D
...... no more sore fingers !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

george

I use a stanley and move the handle from side to side as i cut, pressing down as I dig into the trace. 

I check it after with a DMM on "beep" mode. 

It's worked pretty well so far (I've built an Easyvibe on vero ...), these tools mentioned so far sound good though.

ulysses

i use a 5mm drill bit with a cordless drill

practice on a spair piece of vero. its easy after youve done a few. i usually do a couple of practice runs before i start on a project to get my eye in :)

another thing i tried once was cutting straight through the vero with a 3mm drill bit. cuts the trace without touching the traces above or below it and still leaves plenty of soldering room to the left and right. the advantage of this method is that you can see where the holes are when you turn the board over - making it easier to place the components when refering to the vero layout :)

cheers
ulysses

jmusser

This was one of my jobs while I was in telecommunications, and the best way to do it, is to cut on bot sides of the trace section you want out, stick your hot soldering on it for a second and pull towards you. The section will slide right out of there with no problem or damage.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".