Boss RV-3 problems

Started by MikeH, March 12, 2007, 05:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeH

I posted this a year or so ago, but didn't get an answer... When I switch my Boss RV-3 on and off, there's a slight "hiccup" or break in the signal.  It's not so noticable when switching the effect off, but very noticable when switching it on.  I haven't really been using it because of this, and I'm ready to just scrap it if I can't fix the problem.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

GonzoFonts

I'm guessing that the RV-3 is surface mount technology which will make it hard to work on. 

Have you been able to dig up a schematic? It would be a huge help if you could.

With out a schematic, the only thing I could recommend is to open it up and with a magnifying glass, look over every thing for something obvious like a leaky cap or an SMD device that is not properly seated (I've seen this a few times).

Sorry I could not be of more help.

GF

MikeH

That's cool.  I've seen the scematic before, and it's freaking insane.  It looks like the scematic to a nuclear reactor.  I've actually talked to a few other people who've all had the same problem with theirs.  You'd think with such a common problem there would be a well-known solution.

Branimir

Sorry for bringing this topic to the page one after a year or so, but I have the same prob with the RV-3, and I now I think it's not a problem - it is a feature, no wonder Boss stopped making these pedals heh...

Anyways, is there a way to fix this "hiccup" thing?

Here's the nuclear reactor schem:
http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=168

The pedal itself is fun to play with and offers a wide variety of reverb/delay sounds, but the hiccup thing makes it quite annoying to use in a live situation.

Heh to many features in a single pedal, there had to be "something" wrong about it... Damn you mr. Murphy! :)
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

DWBH

My RV-3 does this as well. I think it's fixable, because I've talked to some people and their RV-3s don't have this hiccup 'feature'.
Mine does, and it'd be sooo cool to get rid of it.

DWBH

After a quick glimpse at the schematic, I think it's impossible to remove this 'switching hiccup', as the switching system is not the same system used in other Boss pedals. The switch in the RV-3 is connected directly to IC10, which - I think - controls all the bypass/trails features of the pedal. And one can't mod a chip :(

Branimir

I sold my pedal some time ago... ;)

I guess the chip needs some time to start processing the AD converted data, hence the gap?

Too bad about that, since it's a quite popular postrock/postmetal pedal after all...
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

DWBH

Quote from: Branimir on May 10, 2009, 05:47:54 PM
I sold my pedal some time ago... ;)

I guess the chip needs some time to start processing the AD converted data, hence the gap?

Too bad about that, since it's a quite popular postrock/postmetal pedal after all...

I guess so... I bought it because all the cool cats in the post-rock scene are using it :icon_lol:

slideman82

I use to have one from a freidn, I tried to repair it, it was a bypass problem (bypass FETs removed, but was the same), but it might be that IC10 MC33470 that needs to be programmed... it really sounds awesome, but sure it's a problematic pedal.
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

composition4

Have you considered making it power up always-on, then true-bypassing it (or replacing with a bypass method of your choice?)

Jonathan

DWBH

Maybe using a bypass looper - well, not true bypass - that will turn the unit on and off (with trails) is an option.
If it were an easy fix, I'd probably do it. Since it isn't, and as the pedal maybe accumulate value over time, I won't risk it.

MikeH

I swear to god so many threads I have started have come back from the dead recently!

Just as an update, I still have not fixed the problem, other than by not using the pedal anymore.  :D

DWBH

I've been considering putting it in a true bypass loop. It be cool to keep the trails, though.

Taylor

It would be pretty easy to have an external bypass box that still keeps the trails. All you need is an SPDT. Connect the output of the RV-3 to the bypass box's output, then use the switch to swap the guitar signal between the RV-3's input and the bypass box's output.

DWBH

Indeed. Might be something to consider.