Stay on topic please

Started by aron, March 13, 2007, 03:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

I'm starting to get really upset at the people that feel like they have to inject there "digs" on other people. First off, this is a member forum - so be a member. Don't post stuff that makes people leave. If someone posts a schematic and they say it's great and other people want to generate a PCB or vero layout, that is their right to do so. For the people that post schematics, understand what it means to post a public schematic. That means yes, someone might alter values and use that circuit. Yes, just like there are tons of tube screamer circuits, there might be a variation on YOUR public circuit. There are laws in place to protect you and companies take advantage of this to protect themselves.

We all have the ability to "create" our own business. It seems like a lot of companies in our industry have based their products on alterations of existing circuits. Tone Bender/Big Muff, Multiple Tube Screamers, Rat variations etc.... This is true -compare and look at the schematics. Think about that before jumping on others.

What is also true is that component changes - sometimes the brand of components make a difference. Many times enough to make one variation sound much better than another. Just because something is a variation doesn't diminish the fact that it can sound great.

Another thing that I believe Craig Anderton said (in different words) is that sometimes a good ear and patience (working with a circuit) can sure beat a person with worse ears but great knowledge.

Treat others with respect and don't diminish the people that want to help and the people that want to build.

Everyone should read the rules regarding this forum.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=21.0

Those are the rules, not ones some people feel that they can make up. Some people here should revisit that thread.

This forum is here to help people that want to build or mod their own stompboxes. Yes, it's also place to generate friendships and to treat each other with respect.

Finally for the "newer crowd", please hang out, but READ/SEARCH and treat the older members with respect. It's very possible they have learned a few things along the way and can help you too.

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

black mariah

Quote from: aron on March 13, 2007, 03:28:46 AM
It's very possible they have learned a few things along the way and can help you too.

Or if they're me, they've been here a long time and haven't picked up a damn thing.  :icon_lol:

I'm with you though. It's quite annoying to see someone go HUA over something that was "stolen" when it was based on a "borrowed" circuit to begin with. *grumble*

Paul Marossy

I've been hanging out at this forum for over five years, but I haven't been here much the last 9 months or so. Anyway, I hate it every time I see one of those "bye bye" or "I'm outta here" threads from a good standing member who has has been abused or attacked by other members. What are we, a bunch of piranhas?!  :icon_sad:

Izzy

I totally agree with what Aron said.

But cant we comment on other's circuit? soundclips? designs?
Personally I love seeing comments on my work, coz thats the only way I can realize my mistakes and make improvement next time.

Some people giving me pat on my back is good, because that inspires me. But comments are the one that constantly motivates me to do better.

Well, thats just my opinion though.  :)

wampcat1

Aron, I believe I may be a bit to blame...

recently I posted some of my thoughts on the whole "people are stealing my designs" thing in a thread that is now removed I believe. While I don't believe I was disrespectful to anyone (and if you felt I was, I apologize!), my point was valid I felt. I should have added that those thoughts were formed after I released several books and saw that there were people all over ebay, various forums, and even right here that were posting mods from it.

When it first happened, it really upset me as at the time I thought I really had "created" those mods. Eventually I came to realize that that is just the nature of the way things work...if I didn't want anyone to use my stuff, I shouldn't have put it out there. And even more, I was blind and dumb to think that I was the first to think up of some of that stuff.

No disrespect to anyone...I was just deeply saddened to see Andy C pull alot of his schems (and I understand, andy, don't get me wrong! :) ), I just feel it set back the whole DIY scene just a tad bit. He's not the only one, just one of the few that I know personally and have had talks about stuff like this with.

Anyway, I'm rambling now and just wanted to post a public apology for my hand in something gone bad.

bw

The Tone God

Shouldn't this be in the lounge ?

Reported.

:::ducks:::

Andrew

Paul Marossy

QuoteShouldn't this be in the lounge ?

I think Aron put it in this subforum for a reason...

slacker

I wondered how long it would take TTG to make an appearance  ;D

The Tone God

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 13, 2007, 02:15:24 PM

The :::ducks::: part was indicating that I was ducking to get out of the way of stuff people would have virtually thrown at me for the comment. ;)

Andrew

Mark Hammer

Quote from: aron on March 13, 2007, 03:28:46 AM
This forum is here to help people that want to build or mod their own stompboxes. Yes, it's also place to generate friendships and to treat each other with respect.

Finally for the "newer crowd", please hang out, but READ/SEARCH and treat the older members with respect. It's very possible they have learned a few things along the way and can help you too.
To put some flesh and bones on that, I suspect many of the younger newer members might not realize just how long this forum has been around in one form or another, and just how long some of us have known each other here.  For some of the newbies, they were still not old enough to go to school when some of us were having debates in this forum about "ideal" Big Muffs, etc. I have e-mail exchanges with R.G. dating to 1991.  While we did not correspond at that time, I have articles from Jack Orman dating back to the late 1970's.

And just for the record, Aron, what year did you assume responsibility for the early version of this forum when it was part of Ampage?  There are a number of us here who have been with the forum since that point, and often before.  You can appreciate that for some of us, there are some topics that have cropped up, um, a couple of hundred times in those intervening years.

That's not a scolding of any sort directed at anyone.  Rather, a lot of folks have only recently discovered this forum.  Since a great many web-fora are only a couple of years old, if that, there is often little expectation of history within a forum on the part of many.  It simply doesn't dawn on them that some of these discussions go back over a decade for many of us, and that some folks have very long track records...and memories, since the brunt of their experience will be with fora where the longest-serving member may have only been there 18 months, or where the amount of traffic and turnover is so high that they've simply never encountered anyone there who has been around a while.

Of course, that is a knife that cuts both ways.  Many of us old farts have to make a point of regularly reminding ourselves that plenty of newer members do not have memories that go back as long as ours.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: The Tone God on March 13, 2007, 02:29:03 PM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 13, 2007, 02:15:24 PM

The :::ducks::: part was indicating that I was ducking to get out of the way of stuff people would have virtually thrown at me for the comment. ;)

Andrew

Oh, I get it! Hmm... are there any virtual stones around here?  :icon_lol:

For me, it always comes back to the fact that you can't see people's expressions, hear the tone of their voice, etc., so many times words come across the wrong way and people get bent out of shape. Sometimes I think it's immature when people fly off the handle and take stuff too personally. You have to remember that we have people from all walks of life here, and some really do lack people skills, and accept that at some point, someone is going to do something to potentially offend you. What you do with those situations is totally dependent on you.  :icon_cool:

QuoteAnd just for the record, Aron, what year did you assume responsibility for the early version of this forum when it was part of Ampage?  There are a number of us here who have been with the forum since that point, and often before. 

I seem to remember that being around mid-2000 or so.

Mark Hammer

Oh no, it was well before then.  I'm thinking 1998 or earlier.  I know I have exchanges from 1997 stored on my hard drive.  I just don't remember if Aron was moderating at that time, or whether Steve Morrison was still doing it all.

And while I do not wish to drag up the past, many here don't realize that one of the reasons why this forum hived off separate from Ampage (now the Music Electronics Forum) is that Aron ran into some extremely nasty personal attacks from a member that went WAY over the line, leading him to sever connections with Ampage, and start anew.  I won't go into details, but I remember them, and I still find it hard to accept that folks can be that mean and vindictive.  I don't think folks realize how much personal courage it took for him to start up this forum, and shepherd it, steadfastly, through its various incarnations/interfaces.  It may look easy now.  It certainly wasn't easy, either then or now.

Bottom line:  When Mr. Nelson tells you something is important to the vitality of this place, take it seriously.  We won't find another moderator or forum like this one anytime soon.  You may doubt the reality of global warming.  You may doubt the inherent superiority of tubes over transistors.  You may doubt that they "don't make 'em like they used to".  You may doubt the wisdom of going into Iraq.  You may doubt whether it was a good idea getting married, in retrospect.  You may doubt the timekeeping skills of your current drummer.  You may doubt whether I am capable of posting anything under 700 words.  There are a lot of things you have every right in the world to doubt.  But DO NOT doubt...EVER... the uniqueness of htis place, its moderator, and the spiritual and behavioural nutrients required...on a daily basis...to keep both alive.

Ben N

IIRC, Aron was separate, then hooked up with Ampage for a while, then went his separate way again. I think Mark is right on the timing. (This is just to prove that you don't have to actually know anything to be an OF  ;D)
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

The Tone God

And even before many of the forums there was the newsgroups. I think I have something in my eye. :'(

Andrew

black mariah

I'm trying to remember exactly when I started hanging around... it was well before the dedicated site... probably while everything was on Ampage. DAMN that's been a while.  :o

Paul Marossy

QuoteOh no, it was well before then.  I'm thinking 1998 or earlier.  I know I have exchanges from 1997 stored on my hard drive.  I just don't remember if Aron was moderating at that time, or whether Steve Morrison was still doing it all.

And while I do not wish to drag up the past, many here don't realize that one of the reasons why this forum hived off separate from Ampage (now the Music Electronics Forum) is that Aron ran into some extremely nasty personal attacks from a member that went WAY over the line, leading him to sever connections with Ampage, and start anew.

Really? I remember it being just about the same time that I got into DIY FX, around mid-2000. Either ways, I didn't hear about that incident. That sucks.

QuoteYou may doubt whether I am capable of posting anything under 700 words.

You want me to be nice or honest?!  :icon_wink:

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 13, 2007, 04:37:41 PM
QuoteYou may doubt whether I am capable of posting anything under 700 words.
You want me to be nice or honest?!  :icon_wink:
I want you to be both forgetful and appreciative of great literature (no matter what form it takes) at the same time. :icon_wink:

Rafa

Aron thanks a lot for all the effort and time you dedicated to the forum, I hope everyone in the forum gets to read this topic.
Cheers
Rafa

The Tone God

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 13, 2007, 04:58:35 PM
I want you to be both forgetful and appreciative of great literature (no matter what form it takes) at the same time.

Graphics sad. ;)

Andrew