Halo inductor on Ebay-anyone try one?

Started by ethanw, March 13, 2007, 05:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanw

This guy seems to sell a lot of halo replicas, anyone try one?  Link:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Halo-Wah-Inductor-upgrade-wah-crybaby-vox-fulltone_W0QQitemZ300085159076QQihZ020QQcategoryZ41422QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem  The price is pretty good, I like the look of ariel's better-

Ethan

spiderman2812

I put one in my modded grybaby a few weeks ago seems to be working fine the only thing was i had to bend 2 pins back because it has 4 pins on the bottom but only 2 of them have the windings attached to tthem. Otherwise it seems like a decent inductor sort of like a wind your own halo type.

rove

I bought one of these inductors after a recommendation from Battle of Midway, and it works great.  I have never used any other Halo or halo replica, but I can say that it sounds objectively different than my Dunlop stock inductor, and subjectively better.

jonathan perez

yes indeed, i use his inductors because he is cheap...by that i mean inexpensive. mike is a good guy.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

ethanw

Thanks for the input, I spent a few more bucks and went for the ArielFX, built a BYOC wah and I'm going dual inductor. #1 is an old stack o'dimes, the Halo will be #2. Ariels looked a little more authentic, both are probably kits.

joelap

I havent tried one, but I have heard good things about this guys inductors.  I wouldnt hesistate to at least try one!
- witty sig -

ulysses

i bought one from arielfx and was very happy with it.

check out his website - http://www.arielfx.com/

he has one on ebay now - http://cgi.ebay.com/ArielFX-Halo-Inductor-Replica-Fits-Dunlop-and-Vox-Wah_W0QQitemZ120097841642QQcategoryZ41422QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and check out my layouts gallery - i created a vox v846 vero layout specifically for the halo inductor - and it sounds great

cheers
ulysses

momo

I bought " the whipple" from this guy and did a direct comparision between this one and my stock inductor in my v847. His inductor is definetly "better" than the stock, it has( if you can call it this)a wider Q on the frequency and warm tone. Now I also have to say that after that test, I modified further with a known mod for the v847, but what really made it different was to change the 0.1 sweep capacitor with a vintage 0.1 wax cap, THAT made it awsome! I now have that vomit throat tone, much like the tones on the live Frampton stuff. Yes I know about the talk box, but Im pretty shure he also used a wah in a fixed position.
Here is a pic of the vintage cap on the board.
Cheers
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

Dai H.

isn't the sweep cap 0.01uF and not 0.1uF? Maybe the main difference is the change in value?

jonathan perez

momo

:o :oYea, my bad! it is a 0.01 cap!, sorry about that. I would probably communicate with the whales using a .1 :icon_lol:
Hmmm, just got an idea for this months contest!
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

george

if a .01 vintage wax cap is THAT big, I'd hate to see a 0.1 one ... you're wah would probably need to be as big as a whale to fit it inside the case....  :icon_lol:

m-theory

I recently installed a "Whipple" in a custom build, and can attest to the fact that it sounds fantastic.  It's very vocal and "wackity wackity."  I concur as well that the guy is great to deal with.  I was all set to buy an Aerial when I saw this one, and figured for the price, it's well worth a try.  I was right.   ;D

jonathan perez

keep in mind, he winds them with correct values. ive seen other cheap halos with 600mH 30ohms, but his are always right on the money (for me) with somewhere between 500 and 515mH.