So, with all of this recent talk on the Dr. Boogey.....

Started by Bucksears, March 14, 2007, 10:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksears

Is there a definitive version of the schematic in the works? There's some talk of a 68k resistor, 150-220pf 'miller caps', etc. I'm planning on rebuilding mine in a larger case so I can have two different gain controls to footswitch between, plus a 'mid scoop' footswitch.
Maybe we could consolidate the tweaks that have been done (and are noticeable improvements)?

- Buck

matchless

I am very interested in this as well.  I want to build this for my cousin as his HS graduation present.  Heavy distortion is not my thing, but he loves the "dual rec" tone.   I've been waiting for a more "complete" schematic because, like Bucksears, I've read quite a few semi-conflicting posts about how to tame the squeels, noise, and improve the tone controls.  Is anyone completely satisfied with their "tweaked" Dr. Boogey?

dschwartz

I think one of the mods that can be consolidated is the use of a MPF102 fet at first or third stage, this tames de sqealing, control the gain, and give some bright to the sound, very darkened by the j201..

Other mod that should be there is the "miller cap" at least at the first stage, mi first build didn´t have it and it was a cool distortion AND an crappy AM radio...

many people i´known to build this complain that it lacks  bass response....mi first attempt was exactly as the schematic (bucksears ..i think ;)
and it was pretty loud and trebly, edgy, and the treble knob turned down softened too much the sound, so i modified the presence control, making it a variable low pass filter, changing the 3n cap to 10n, and putting the 22k in series with the output..cap to ground passing thru presence pot. this mod was a winner...it works like a variable cab sim, and complemented with the treble knob, made the pedal extremely versatile!!!..

of course, this filter lowers the volume a bit, cause it filters out a lot of treble and high mids, even mids at max position, but the yielded tone worth it!!! and there´s stil plenty of volume available...

keep up the great work buck!!!!!!
----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

Bucksears

I really like the tone controls on this one (they actually DO what they say they're gonna do). I've been lucky with the noise on mine (no squealing), but that doesn't mean that it's perfect or no room for improvement (still a wee bit noisy).
- Buck

dschwartz

at the post about dr boogie layout are some very good ideas...i think putting the input jack as far away from the gain knob works well, (i shielded the gain pot and took away a lot of noise and squealing..

anyway, using 5 j201 is too much gain to make it quiet...

well, i have to add that is MANDATORY the use of regulated supply...
Tubes are overrated!!

Bucksears

Quote from: dschwartz on March 14, 2007, 12:14:48 PM
many people i´known to build this complain that it lacks  bass response....mi first attempt was exactly as the schematic (bucksears ..i think ;)
and it was pretty loud and trebly, edgy,

With the (too hot) Ibanez Super 58's that were originally in my Ibanez Artist, it literally turned my SRRI into a Dual Recto. It had the bass, gain, compression, everything. The pickups were too hot, so I swapped them out for Duncan '59s, which are about to be swapped out for DiMarzio Virtual PAFs. If I can get the noise thing tamed, I may use all J201's. It's my go-to pedal for 'that sound'. I don't need more gain that what thing does.
- Buck

Pushtone

Quote from: Bucksears on March 14, 2007, 10:09:42 AM
Is there a definitive version of the schematic in the works? There's some talk of a 68k resistor, 150-220pf 'miller caps', etc.
- Buck

Isn't that what Gussmarkov has done with his open DB thread last weekend.
The only thing not in his improved schematic is the IO coupling caps and reverse voltage protection.

Buck, I build on your layout and Electritabs original schem and it's pretty well behaved.
It will squeal if the MID and PRESENCE pot are push up to 3 o'clock.
I need to do a build report for it.

I was going to start adding the circuit improvements but thats when Gussmarkov posted his improved schematic.
Now I'm thinking I would be interesting to leave it stock and build another on Guss's layout to do a direct comparison.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

gaussmarkov

sorry, i forgot about the coupling caps.  i'll put them in.  are there recommended values?  the diode polarity protection is in place already.

pushtone, do you prefer the 23 x 16 version?

Pushtone

Quote from: gaussmarkov on March 14, 2007, 01:38:37 PM
pushtone, do you prefer the 23 x 16 version?

Either one would work for me since I generaly don't use batteries.
What would you recommend?
I'll guess the best thing would be the 23x16 since others like batteries so lets get that one confirmed.

Thanks again for the work on the schematic and layout.  :icon_smile:
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Paul Marossy

gaussmarkov

i just posted the new version:  dr. boogey.  this is the smaller layout, because i ended up moving the tone pots around as Basicaudio suggested in the other thread and this gave me a chance to move a cap and introduce a guard trace.

coupling caps are in this version, too.  this required quite a bit of rejuggling to stay inside 23 x 16.  and it led to the new pot order.

and in case you don't know, i am now putting the "hi rez" graphic for the pcb image is in the pdf project file.  the linked pcb image is 300dpi.

man i hope this is an improvement, gm  :icon_biggrin:

electrictabs

great job gaussmarkov

I guess that if you are going to use Doctor Boogey as a distortion pedal in front of a tube/ss preamp you have to add some high cut filters for smoother sound/ a little less background noise.
That is "miller caps" or any similar lowpass filter.
Using 2n5457 or mpf102 will give less noise/gain but will alter the character of distortion so you have to test and see if u like it ;)

A well filtered power supply, shielded wires and a nice amp-like layout is the key to get a nice and problemfree Doctor Boogey build

mojotron

I would like to lobby for coupling caps on the input/output...

gaussmarkov

Quote from: gaussmarkov on March 14, 2007, 06:30:13 PM
coupling caps are in this version, too.  this required quite a bit of rejuggling to stay inside 23 x 16.  and it led to the new pot order.

Quote from: mojotron on March 14, 2007, 07:59:40 PM

:icon_wink:

dschwartz

damn!
i´ve just build my third dr boogey (the first one was dismembered for a never finished thunderchieff), so i have 2 DB´s laying around...i wish i waited a few weeks and build the last one with this beautiful improvements...but now i´m kind of tired of this circuit (and the amount of time i invested on improvement) but the effort is incredibly worthwhile..

I think this is the best DIY rock-metal distortion available, and with your effort (i´m not worthy of saying "our"), it´s getting better and better...

Thanks god that this one is so difficult to mass produce, due to FET inconsistence, and the time it needs for fine-tuning, if not, probably this would be a best-seller, losing the originality

You guys rock!! Hard!!!
Tubes are overrated!!

mojotron

Quote from: gaussmarkov on March 14, 2007, 08:05:40 PM
Quote from: gaussmarkov on March 14, 2007, 06:30:13 PM

Quote from: mojotron on March 14, 2007, 07:59:40 PM

:icon_wink:
:icon_redface:

gaussmarkov - you are good! And, I don't read so good.

Thanks - We really really appriciate all your work on this!

Processaurus

I'm curious how builders would compare the sound of this to the "California" setting on the sansamp GT-2?  I've played real boogies and my GT-2, and of coarse its not the same thing, but there is a similar characteristic, which can get the idea of that kind of amp across, so is that characteristic more present in this emulation?  Different?

MR COFFEE

sound clips from anybody on it?

Looks like some nice work!!
Bart

John Lyons

Here are some clips of my dr boogey build.
www.mrdwab.com/john/soundclipspage.html

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

gaussmarkov

please note, in case you are only watching this thread.  there has been a critical change to the dr. boogie layout.  reload (see proposed dr. boogey layout -- seeking comments