News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Maplins kits

Started by col, March 15, 2007, 03:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

Just been in Maplins (UK) and they are selling off the Christmas kits for less than half price. I got  riding santa kit for £4 odd with 126 green, red and yellow leds. 41 resistors between 470 ohms and 47k ohms, 5 caps of 2u2 and 10u, 6BC557 and 2 BC547 trannies, i dc jack socket, 1 spdt switch, 1 9v battery holder, spacers, screws and the circuit board which i don't need. They also has several others. Probably not much of a saving compared to mail order but all useful stuff.

Col
Col

gez

Col, you mentioned the 'M' word...go stand in the corner!  :icon_razz:
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

col

I know, I know! :icon_redface: I had to go in 'cos the other shop I use is shut on Wednesdays and I needed the bits in a hurry. The Bolton branch has a chap who acually knows what he's talking about which helps.
Col

Papa_lazerous

wow you are the first person who got a good deal from Maplins since erm..... forever  :D

I normally find them useless at sending the right parts via mail order and even more useless at giving you the correct values of parts over the counter,  Farnell are good but orders over £20 only

spudulike

I have never had an incorrect mail-order delivery from Maplins.
I have only once had a problem with the staff. Thats once in about 9 years.
I dont subscribe to the eternal Maplin-bashing on here.

I buy a fair bit from them ... thanks for the heads-up, I'll check them out tomorrow :)

gez

Spud, they should stuff you and put you in a museum "Only Known Satisfied M*plin Customer"  :icon_razz:

Only pulling your leg, but I've stopped using them due my experiences over the years...for good (no joke, I have no intention of ever using them again).  We all complain, but nobody does anything.  Well, I did...
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

MartyMart

You have to remember that Gez is a "one man Maplin killer"  !!
Well, that's his "other" job  :icon_wink:
Personally, they're great for some "last minute must have" goodies
I like the Alpha switches and Bimbox enclosures, even 9v snaps and a few
components some times ..... they carry NE5534's and 5532's !
( well at least they do in Kingston upon Thames )
Recently got a 10metre roll of "soldermop" for the price of a 1.5metre  :D :D
...... I didn't see the mistake 'til I got home BTW
MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Hambo

Its just a total pain in the arse having to spend at least 20 minutes going 'no I wanted THREE of those... Umm, The code on that should be blah blah blah..I don't even know what THAT thing is... Hello? Hello?' meanwhile a huge queue of huffing impatient people gather behind you, stretching off into the distance. You correct them time and again, then you get home and start potching the stuff in only to realise the sneaky bastard has slipped one past you, daaamn you Maplin boyyyyy! And now you cant finish the thing till you go back, ach! it takes all the fun out of it, especially when you're me and can only get there by motorbike 15 miles away.

Has happened to me on at least 4 occaisions. In less than 4 months since I started getting into this stuff.. I would like to join the Maplin Boycott, but there IS nowhere else around here, and Im way to impatient to wait up on something I've nearly finished till I have a reasonable mail order. HUMPH

WelshWonder

Try http://www.rapidonline.com. Great prices and fast delivery (next day usually). For example, Carbon film 5% resistors - £0.50 for 100!

col

I use Rapid  for mail order, the next day delivery is great. A big thumbs up to RSH, Dalbani and oldradioparts as well. Maplins is a 5 min drive from where I live and I pass a number of stores while I'm driving around at work so it's easy if I need something in a hurry. I try to use Modern Radio in Bolton when I can, an independent shop where the satff are very helpful and know what they're talking about.
Col

gez

Quote from: MartyMart on March 15, 2007, 09:21:17 PM
You have to remember that Gez is a "one man Maplin killer"  !!
Well, that's his "other" job  :icon_wink:

Cue gravelly voice over:

"He's back...he's pissed...er, and he's on his own"

MartyMart

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

OT- but I was at one of many Frankfurt Music Messe shows, demonstrating for Peavey.
One morning, an American member of staff asked me if I was OK ?
I said "yeah, still a bit pissed though" and he asked what had upset me !

....... of course I was talking about being a bit "drunk" from the night before .... NOT angry  !!

I also took a break and said "I'm going outside for a fag"  ( cigarette )  ..... you should have seen
the look that I got for that one  :D

United Kingdom and America - two nations "divided" by a common language   :icon_wink:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

axg20202

I've been using RSH Electronics for a lot of my stuff lately. Their on-line ordering system could be better (it's being rehashed apparently) but their service is superb. I placed an order two days ago, paid yesterday and it arrived this morning. Their prices are pretty good and they don't sting you on postage - they just use royal mail. Haven't received an incorrect part yet in many orders. They also accept Paypal, which makes things easier. I don't have any affiliation with them, I just like good service.

By the time you've got yourself to Craplin, got the attention of the bloke with an unhealthy appreciation of disco/car audio equipment and a complexion like the surface of the moon, explained to him what you want and corrected his repeated mistakes in parts choice, got over the annoyance of them only having 1 or 2 of any part you ask for - all in all not a pleasurable retail experience - you could have placed an order on-line (with another company) and be half way to receiving the CORRECT goods.  I think us British blokes often have to pop into Craplin for the odd part, but I use them only when I'm absolutely desperate....entering their stores makes me feel dirty and used like a cheap hooer...and, coincidentally, their inflated prices make me feel like I've been shagged like one.

Andy.

Hanglow

I dislike maplin a fair bit too, mainly because I was after a number of parts, checked for availability online, was delighted to see that they stocked the parts I wanted at both their Glasgow stores, and of course was completely disappointed when after going to both they didn't have anything that I wanted. Having said that they are sort of usefull sometimes for bits and bobs. I would prefer them to be better but having them the way they are now is better than not having them around at all.

I tend to use Rapid or use my brother who's an ee and works from home and his company has accounts with rapid, digikey, rs, etc so sometimes get him to tack on some things on his orders. Or I just go round and "borrow" a few components. :icon_lol: ,

AdamB

I just applied for a job to work there, haha. I'm a desperate student needing money.
[indifferent::engine]
http://www.indifferentengine.com

Hambo

Damn YOU Maplin boyyyyyy!  ;D

hope you made sure to mispell every other word on the app form.. spilling some coffee or something on it helps too.
They wont hire you otherwise....

Papa_lazerous

Wow this thread has grown!

Just to add, unless u have a good local branch maplins are useless. The amount me times they mess up the simplest of  things. If u check it as they bag it they get the hump and are quite rude if u don't check it u have to drive home and back to sort it wasting time and fuel. Mail order have %^&*ed a few orders for me but also sorted it quickly. If u must have something on a saturday afternoon use them at your peril but remember they are evil lol