Slow gear all backwards.

Started by Hambo, March 16, 2007, 11:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hambo

I've just wired up a slow gear. Its given me no end of grief. At first it didnt work at all, so I mistakenly went and ordered the 2SK30A Tranny at some obscure hard to find parts place. Still no joy, then I noticed I'd put the op amp in upside down, because it was easier to stripboard it the other way round. So I switched it and finally I have something like the effect... but in REVERSE!
The Guitar signal is gated, when you play a hard enough note it kicks in to regular volume, then when the signal falls to a certain level it does a very short fade out!

I can't understand it, I've checked and corrected all the borks I can find, nothing doing, so unless anyone knows what I'm on about, or can think of some simple thing I may be overlooking, I may just scrap this one as a lost cause.

On the up side I built a Foxx Tone Machine from the GGG site the other day and its EXCELLENT! Really, excellent, more than makes up for this crappy SG1 muckabout. :icon_mrgreen:

oldrocker

I just built one of these.  In fact it was the last build I did.  It is a tricky circuit.  What npn Bi-polars did you use?  Knob tweeking is essential with this pedal.  You have to do alot of messing with the knobs to find the best setting to make it work.  When I first put mine together I thought at first it wasn't working.  Then I started messing with the knobs and eventually found a sweet spot to make it sound right.  If the guitar signal isn't strong enough then it won't work right either.  Some say that a compressor in front of it makes it work better.  Also there is a 10k trim pot that needs to be set correctly.  If it's not then knob tweeking won't help.  So that's why I stated that this is a tricky ciruit.  There are a few factors to get set right for the effect to work correctly.   I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Hambo

Criminey!

By god you were right.
The effect is so subtle I didnt notice it without putting it after some distortion.. I should have tried it before really, feel a bit stupid now.
Its got a mild swell but really nothing to write home about, even on the highest settings. disappointed. Oh well, at least that verifies my stripboarding skills still pretty damn impeccable.  :icon_mrgreen: