Ever seen this???

Started by Bernardduur, March 19, 2007, 05:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernardduur

Hey all! I was scavanging this old beaten up, empty Dynacord head (I think) and I found this unit:

Pic 1
Pic 2

The person I got it from said it was a germanium diode; I measured it through and it is a diode

Will check in a D+ like circuit
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Sir H C

Looks more like a Selenium diode.  Those were much poorer semiconductors so they needed to be bigger to lower the resistance.

Bernardduur

Thanks!

Can it be used in such a device? Will it sound?

jrc4558

Yes, it is a selenium rectifier. It will sound.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Selenium diode drop is about 2V.
Another one to look out for, is the copper oxide rectifier. (hint: if you have a broken analog AC voltmeter from the 50s... look inside).

marlin

It looks a bit like this:

Is it a selen rectifier also?

Ronsonic

Yep. More selenium.

Don't be surprised if you find them dead. They always leaked more than silicon and most have failed by now. For a pedal application it isn't that big a deal, but there's lots of old tube gear that used these in the bias supplies. Those should just be replaced on GPs.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

zachomega

As everybody is kind of hinting, the selenium rectifiers were junk...even when they were brand new.  Nothing worth keeping onto in my opinion.  I have some brand new ones in boxes that I'm half tempted to chuck in a box of other more useful crap just to get rid of them.

-Zach Omega

marlin

So it sounds, but it sounds like crap?  :)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I never met a diode I didn't like...... come on, give it a go!! I bet it's going to have a really soft knee.
Back in the 60s I had some from a drone target plane avionics system power supply that consisted of stacks of disks (the individual disks are only good for about 60v from memory, maybe less). I disassembled them & cleaned them (they were potted with bitumen for weatherproofing). I can still remember the smell of the selenium.... didn't realise quite how poisonous it is, but I'm still here :icon_wink:

marlin

So it's poisonous, sounds like crap and so big it'll hardly fit in a D box  :icon_eek:

I have to try it....

gez

I love the smell of burning Selenium in the morning...smells like....well, burning Selenium.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Ronsonic

Quote from: marlin on March 20, 2007, 07:23:31 AM
So it's poisonous, sounds like crap and so big it'll hardly fit in a D box  :icon_eek:

I have to try it....

That's the spirit. Be sorta interesting to see a couple stacks sticking out of a pedal with Borg-wires going to the terminals. They might actually sound good in a pedal. And it's an application where their failure won't do serious harm.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

Bernardduur

The sound is kinda weird; I never got a diode in that cut all the treble in the sound.

I measured the diodes; as germanium gives around 200 (??) and silicium around 800 (??) this one gave 400 (??)

the sound was muffled and fuzzy; louder then germanium diodes, more fuzzy then silicium diodes. And, as stated above, it cut treble.