A popping Wah !!!

Started by Samy, March 21, 2007, 07:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samy

I have done several mods to GBC95 Wah´s and never had a single problem doing them until now !
I have done the true bypass mod and now i have the "classical" popping noise caused by the led !  ??? Taking the led off the circuit everything is fine, adding them causes a terrible "pop" noise when I'm turning it on, no "pop" when turning it off...
I read this : http://www.muzique.com/lab/led.htm  , after adding the cap and the resistor, the noise remains the same ... i just don't get it !
I´m taking the 9V just after the DC jack just before the zener and the 220µF filter cap so, i was expecting that the pop noise would be eliminated by the filter ... i have changed the cap already and the problem remains...

This is rev.G .

Any help on this problem ?

Samy

Replaced the 3PDT with one DPDT with millennium bypass and the "pop" is gone.
I´m not looking back, I'll use it like this but sure is strange ...i have always used 3PDT´s in all my wah mods and never had a problem like this one.
I will check tomorrow the 3PDT in other pedal to see if it's OK.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Samy on March 21, 2007, 08:20:00 PM
Replaced the 3PDT with one DPDT with millennium bypass and the "pop" is gone.
I´m not looking back, I'll use it like this but sure is strange ...i have always used 3PDT´s in all my wah mods and never had a problem like this one.
I will check tomorrow the 3PDT in other pedal to see if it's OK.

Sometimes reflowing the joints on the switch can help.  Bad solder joints are often a cause of pops.
Try a little tenderness.

boyersdad

How about a pulldown resistor? 470k-1M?
I like amps etc.

Samy

I tried pulldown resistors but didn´t work.

another question:

Is it possible to mod to true bypass the GBC 95Q model ?

Thanks.

Samy

Quote from: Samy on March 30, 2007, 07:26:11 AM
I tried pulldown resistors but didn´t work.

another question:

Is it possible to mod to true bypass the GBC 95Q model ?

Thanks.
Well.... anyone ?

aron

I assume it's possible if you understand the circuit and what you are trying to accomplish.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/articles/elbypass.html

The popping problem is either mechanical or caused by DC - so in the case of DC it seems that you could measure this on the input or output of the wah.