does anybody sell empty vox wah shells?

Started by Exactopposite, April 04, 2007, 07:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exactopposite

i have gotten into modding wahs and i'm pleased with the results. i have been lucky so far in finding used crybabies for cheap, but i really want a vox case. i just prefer the look of the vox. if anyone knows of a source for empy shells let me know.

Processaurus

Small Bear is the only place I know that sells wah shells, and those are the crybaby ones.  Only place to get a vox is buy a used and cheap/busted one.  Ask around, a lot of guitarists have a wah wah in a closet somewhere.

smallbearelec

Apologies...I underestimated the demand for these, and I ran out some weeks ago. I have an order in, boat is due to leave Shanghai 20 April. I expect to be shipping again about third week of May.

Regards
SD

Exactopposite

Quote from: smallbearelec on April 05, 2007, 12:55:45 AM
Apologies...I underestimated the demand for these, and I ran out some weeks ago. I have an order in, boat is due to leave Shanghai 20 April. I expect to be shipping again about third week of May.

Regards
SD

are these vox or the regular crybaby ones? If it's the vox type i will buy one for sure. (i need to order some inductors anyway)

rockgardenlove

You could always chrome the top part if you really want it badly.

darron

ahmm... i'm confused. i have a vox wah. it IS the crybaby shell! it's exactly the same as far as i can see. it still says amplification instrument on it. it just has the vox logo put into the top of it with chrome though, which is really cool! :D
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Paul Marossy

I think he wants one that looks like mine:

This is not the same as the standard CryBaby one:

darron

i think (thought?) they were exactly the same except that vox puts the chrome in theirs. they both have the same jack indentations and the rubber on the top is exactly the same with the same genetic 'amplification instrument' on the top from the manufacturer of the shell. if they are not by the same manufacturer then one is a blatant rip-off, surely?

i also have a bass crybaby lying around here that i'm working on for someone.

Paul Marossy

AFAIK, the Vox and CryBaby shells have always looked the ones in those pictures I posted. Maybe they changed the newer ones? I dunno...

darron

completely taking over this thread. sorry.

aren't the ones in the pictures that you posted exactly the same though other than vox's chrome modification?

Paul Marossy

Quotearen't the ones in the pictures that you posted exactly the same though other than vox's chrome modification?

Yes, they are. The foot paddle is the only difference between the two.

sfx1999

I have a recently made Vox V847 wah, and I have seen a vintage CryBaby. It's funny; they both seem to have the exact same warning about battery consumption on the back. They appear to be the same shell, but I don't remember what the insides look like.

I must say the V847 is a good wah stock.

darron

Quote from: sfx1999 on April 06, 2007, 11:37:20 PM
I have a recently made Vox V847 wah, and I have seen a vintage CryBaby. It's funny; they both seem to have the exact same warning about battery consumption on the back. They appear to be the same shell, but I don't remember what the insides look like.

I must say the V847 is a good wah stock.

i see no need to modify mine (:

...except for the dc socket. it won't work without a regulated power supply by the way.

Exactopposite

yes they are essentialy the same, but  i like the look of the vox. the chrome and the letterng on top look better to me. it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it's my preference. so far i have only had the crybabies because they are easier to find for cheap.

darron

Quote from: Exactopposite on April 08, 2007, 09:41:30 PM
yes they are essentialy the same, but  i like the look of the vox. the chrome and the letterng on top look better to me. it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but it's my preference. so far i have only had the crybabies because they are easier to find for cheap.

i guess that's where i was a bit confused. if you want it to actually say VOX then you'd have to get it from vox or one of their spare parts agents. i can't imagine why any stockist would get their hands on an empty vox shell. i don't know if they would sell you just a shell also, i'd imagine people get a whole new unit when the shell breaks. give them a call though as they will tell you if it's available or not.

and yeah, they do look really cool!

Exactopposite

Quote from: darron on April 08, 2007, 09:45:59 PM
Quote from: Exactopposite on April 08, 2007, 09:41:30 PM

i guess that's where i was a bit confused. if you want it to actually say VOX then you'd have to get it from vox or one of their spare parts agents. i can't imagine why any stockist would get their hands on an empty vox shell. i don't know if they would sell you just a shell also, i'd imagine people get a whole new unit when the shell breaks. give them a call though as they will tell you if it's available or not.

and yeah, they do look really cool!

i can't say i was expecting to find a retailer selling them, but i just in case. 

DiamondDog

if you want it to actually say VOX then you'd have to get it from vox or one of their spare parts agents. i can't imagine why any stockist would get their hands on an empty vox shell. i don't know if they would sell you just a shell also, i'd imagine people get a whole new unit when the shell breaks. give them a call though as they will tell you if it's available or not.

From experience with other brand stuff, they might ask questions if you want a dozen name-brand shells with all the name-brand brightwork, to make sure you're not doing commercial things with non-brand name interiors. ::) Then, they might not care, either!  ;D

I've had to supply serial numbers before for purchases of several items for a bank of repairs- I must have shifty eyes or something! Grand Theft Wah-Wah. :icon_lol:
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

Exactopposite

Quote from: DiamondDog on April 09, 2007, 07:44:58 AM
if you want it to actually say VOX then you'd have to get it from vox or one of their spare parts agents. i can't imagine why any stockist would get their hands on an empty vox shell. i don't know if they would sell you just a shell also, i'd imagine people get a whole new unit when the shell breaks. give them a call though as they will tell you if it's available or not.

From experience with other brand stuff, they might ask questions if you want a dozen name-brand shells with all the name-brand brightwork, to make sure you're not doing commercial things with non-brand name interiors. ::) Then, they might not care, either!  ;D

I've had to supply serial numbers before for purchases of several items for a bank of repairs- I must have shifty eyes or something! Grand Theft Wah-Wah. :icon_lol:

thanks for the tip. i only want 1 or 2 of them so it should be a big deal. i'll check with vox today.