News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tube fuzz??

Started by Bernardduur, March 26, 2007, 07:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernardduur

Hey all!

I am looking around for some ideas on fuzz pedals with tube(s) inside em...... I am currently building this "all-tube" fx board for some tube-o-phile and asked if I could add some kind of fuzz pedal...... as yet I haven't found one

Someone?
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

rocket

I would say it's either "tube" or "fuzz" .

The name "fuzz" is strongly related to simple (usually bipolar) semiconductor circuits.

d95err

The difference between a Fuzz and a more "amp-like" overdrive or distortion is usually that

a) Lots and lots of distortion generated by hard clipping
b) No bass cut before distortion, which makes low frequencies "wolly" or "farted out".

Both these should be easy to do with tubes. Use two or more triode stages with no level reduction in between them. Use oversized coupling and cathode caps. Perhaps a Soldano-style cold biased hard clipping stage would be useful (e.g. 100k plate resistor 39k cathode resistor).

JimRayden

Quote from: rocket on March 26, 2007, 07:41:33 AM
I would say it's either "tube" or "fuzz" .

The name "fuzz" is strongly related to simple (usually bipolar) semiconductor circuits.

Exuse me but that is the dumbest thing to say. Prejudices and stereotypes aren't worth poo when you're in the stompbox biz.

:D

---------
Jimbo

puretube

"Tube-Fuzz" is a registerd trademark.

small production run scheduled for 2007...

(yes, above pic pedal has a frequency doubler built in, too - and does both: "tubelike dist" & "known fuzz")  :icon_smile:

JimRayden

That exact same four-knob four-switch four-tube monster?

---------
Jimbo

Bernardduur

Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account