Where can I get "Klon Centaur" Schematics?

Started by Izzy, March 29, 2007, 08:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Ya know, whether it sounds good or not is open for debate I suppose but.....
It does have a NICE enclosure! :icon_wink:

joelap

I'd say about 90-95% of the people who are looking for information on this pedal aren't looking to clone the pedal to make a profit for less than the man himself charges, but rather curious how this circuit works.  I guess its a case of those few jerks who you know would clone it for a profit ruining it for those of us who wouldnt.
- witty sig -

markm

Quote from: joelap on March 29, 2007, 08:10:51 PM
I'd say about 90-95% of the people who are looking for information on this pedal aren't looking to clone the pedal to make a profit for less than the man himself charges, but rather curious how this circuit works.  I guess its a case of those few jerks who you know would clone it for a profit ruining it for those of us who wouldnt.

I find myself agreeing with this statement.
It's more of a curiousity factor for me I suppose.

aron

AFAIK there's a voltage doubler circuit in there.

The entire forum(s) went through the Klon "ideas" phase. I'm sure it's online in the archives.

Voltage Doublers
Ge diodes (old news)
Blend pot - several pedals used this

Aron

newbie builder

The blend is definitely noticeable when using the Klon- I had just assumed that before even reading it here...interesting that it uses GE diodes- wouldn't have guessed that. I personally think it sounds horrible as a stand alone OD- it's best with the gain around 9 or 10 o'clock used as a semi dirty boost into a working amp- on the verge of breakup at the least or already distorting. What it can do then is magic- it really brings the guitar's sound out front and gives it an amazing presence. It sounds bad if you aren't using it in a band context- just at home. But in the mix, it sits perfectly. I'll also add that I'm another one of the DIY'ers who probably would just study the schem if received- I don't think it's in good taste to rip off any of the hardworking boutique builders, but I don't see anything wrong with wanting to learn.
//

Serge

QuoteQuote from: joelap on Today at 02:10:51 AM

I find myself agreeing with this statement.
It's more of a curiousity factor for me I suppose.

I agree with this too.  I'm just curious what's in there.  If I'd get the schem, I'm not even sure that I'd actually build one, as I like my Hotcake better anyway.

JimRayden

Then the info-seeking message should be written carefully and accordingly to avoid such faulty interpretations and prejudices. Asking how a certain circuit works is a helluva lot better than "gimme a schemo".

No offense to anyone, I'm just emphasizing that close attention should be paid when writing any post.

---------
Jimbo

Serge

I don't want to start a whole discussion on this, but I'm not sure if I agree... A schem tells you how it works, right?  A general explanation on how a circuit is built up will not necessarily give away the magic of a pedal.  Sometimes the magic is in the details or in the interaction of the whole circuit.  The schematic isn't being posted because, because one cannot control what people will DO with it.  In the end, what matters is the good/bad intentions of people and that's something you cannot verify on a forum, unless maybe you have built up trust over the years.

By the way, I'm not even sure if a Klon-clone would sell in large quantities and at similar prices.  In the end, I believe many people think it's cool to see an original Klon on their pedalboard.  The feeling of having the so-called holy grail is what – mostly unconsciously - matters for many (not all) and that's what they're paying the extra $$$ for (or maybe because it makes them think having a Klon makes them a better player).  I've been there too, I must admit.  I have purchased original pedals after making a DIY clone first for exactly this reason - I realised that afterwards.

People are paying for having a Klon, not for a clone that sounds like it.  That's probably one of the reasons why Bill puts so much effort in the enclosures and the unique looks of the pedal.  A lot of the value of the Klon lies in the enclosure/looks, the hype, the care of proper construction and finish.  People are not buying it at that price because the schem is a mystery as such.  Well, I wouldn't buy it for that reason.

The above reasoning probably does not apply for all boutique pedals (some clones DO sell), but somehow I think it does for the Klon.  Don't ask me why.  I feel it in my toes...  :icon_wink:

aron

From what I remember there is a Klon clone being sold but I forgot the name.

Serge

I was told that the Banzai Cold Fusion is a 95% Klon clone.  It does not enjoy the same reputation however.

Paul Marossy

Hey, there's one for sale on ebay right now - BIN price of $900!!  Ebay strikes again. ::)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klon-Centaur-Silver-w-Centaur-Graphic-Very-Rare_W0QQitemZ170095447754QQcategoryZ41416QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT: BTW, it looks like it might be positive ground since there's a metal DC jack on the back of it...

Serge

See, that's exactly what I was trying to say.  People are paying big $$$ for Klon's with the Centaur drawing on it.  Klon's without the Centaur go at half that price.  The box is different, but the circuit is the same - that's what Bill told me anyway.  People are paying for the looks of that pedal.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Serge on March 30, 2007, 11:16:44 AM
See, that's exactly what I was trying to say.  People are paying big $$$ for Klon's with the Centaur drawing on it.  Klon's without the Centaur go at half that price.  The box is different, but the circuit is the same - that's what Bill told me anyway.  People are paying for the looks of that pedal.

Well, they say that people are like sheep...  :icon_wink:

jonathan perez

Where can I get "Klon Centaur" Schematics?

the gear page.

:icon_mrgreen:
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

GonzoFonts

Yep.

So many people swear by this pedal and I would like to know what the fuss is all about.

It really can't be that good - can it?

The pedal is something like $300 and that is a lot of money to put into something just to try it.

So, for the love of god, if anyone has the schematic, please send it to me so I can breadboard it and give it a try.

Besides, I need to work on something over the long weekend. :)

GF

Jay Doyle

Do you guys REALLY need a schematic for yet another distortion circuit? Really?

$300 is quite a fair price for a guy's only product, in a custom cast enclosure. Especially because it is far from another tube screamer clone.

There isn't anything in the circuit that should be new to anyone who has looked at all of the schematics ALREADY available.

Just from what everyone already knows about the circuit from posts on this board, you should at least be able to come up with a block diagram of the circuit and from there it is just a matter of getting to a breadboard...

What we know:

Charge Pump for higher voltage
Ge Diode Clipping stage
A mixer which allows you to blend the distortion and clean
Treble control

That is enough to get you 80% of the way there. Unfortunately the last 20% is like the last 20% of an Audio taper pot, it's a very steep road from there to 100%. But it's all about filtering and level control (isn't all distortion though?).

The important thing is to take a look at the list of what we know above and extrapolate each of those things into what they mean for the circuit (it has a charge pump so it has higher headroom and must not have very tall current requirements; there is a mixer which probably means that there is an inverting opamp stage somewhere, etc.). And then extrapolate as to what each means against the other (there is higher headroom, but Ge diodes? Don't those seem to cancel each other out? Why would you need more headroom if the output signal of the distortion side is on the order of 0.6Vp-p? Wait, there is a mixer? Couldn't you boost the signal from the diodes in the mixer?).

My point is we can take what we already know and come up with a circuit that attempts to mimic the function. And not only do we not expose a good designer's only product to the world, but chances are you are going to learn A LOT more then if you just had the schematic and slapped the circuit on a breadboard...

And, in my opinion, it would be a LOT more fun.

Respectfully,

Jay Doyle

Gus

this place is funny.

I believe the main reason someone would ask for a schematic is to clone it for themselfs or to make money.

They should buy it and reverse it themselfs and not ask at the forum if they want it that bad.

People that could understand it could just design something using the tone and what the knobs do

I would not have posted anything at all about what is inside it.

One thing I think has happened is the people that shared stuff that was different have stopped.
  How many FFs and TSs can you build or post about? I guess we will find out.

markm

I honestly don't think there are any accurate schems for this circuit on the net. I don't think any exist at all that are very public.
Perhaps one of the more ambitious folks looking for this schem should buy it, reverse it and, then post it and become a DIY "Hero"!  :icon_lol:
Just a joke.
However I always wonder about the circuit goopers, seems to me those that goop probably have reverse-engineered LOADS
of circuits in their checkered past!

Minion

Why is it OK to Build a Clone of a Ibanez ,Or Boss, or DOD Pedal but it is not OK to Clone THIS Pedal???

Just wondering what ethics are involved in Cloneing a Mass Produced pedal compared a Pedal that isn"t Mass Produced (Like this Pedal)???

It just seems that if it Is OK to clone the Latest Boss pedal than it should be OK to Clone ANY pedal (For personal Use)......

Just because this Guy only makes one Pedal and Hand Makes his enclosures doesn"t seem like a Very good reason to not Clone it ,At least there doesn"t see to be any compelling reason to Clone a Boss but not this pedal....

Explain??
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!

markm