Identifying some old diodes...

Started by Samy, March 30, 2007, 06:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samy

Hi.
I have have some old vcr´s and i will use some good stuff that i found inside them. There are a lot of small pots, transistors, caps and diodes but I'm having some trouble to identify some of them.
All small diodes only have a small yellow line, i believe they are small signal diodes.
I have an old Boss DS1 made in Japan and the diodes have a blue line .... after searching some of my old components i found many diodes with those line colors and red and orange too ... Where i can find some info about them ? I have tested some of them and they are OK, i wonder how different are they from the 1N914 ( 1N4148 ) and if someone already used them in fx.

Thanks.

runmikeyrun

check them with the diode feature, if your meter has one.  I salvage diodes from old junk too and just try them in circuits to see how they sound.  I'm not mass producing stuff so i don't care what it is, as long as it sounds good.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

zjokka

I believe, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong that this only matters if you use the diodes as clippers in a distortion circuit. Just used to bad leaky ASY125 Ge transistors as Ge diodes in my Jawari because they checked out right as GE diode (correct voltage drop).

Hanglow

They have different voltage drops, - I used my DMM  ones I recycled(also from a vcr - they are good for bits and bobs) got values of 0.75v for the ones with the yellow line and 0.24v with the ones with a pink line. Of course yours might be different..

it might be best to get a dmm with a diode test feature on it. otherwise, pot luck, just mix them up in whatever clipping stages you put into your effects...