My first vero layout! 70s Triggered Square Wave Fuzz (Optimum fuzz)

Started by smnm, March 31, 2007, 06:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smnm

Digging through Casey's gallery of schematics from 70s hobby mags I came across this one
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album34/squarewavefuzz741?full=1

Searching here tells me a few people (well jmusser at least) have made it and like it. 
Looked simple enough for a vero layout, so I tried one, using Dragonfly's template gifs:

Verified!

I might add the pots to the layout sometime, but this is ok for now.
I think I'm going to splash out and get a switched pot for on-off/volume.
"Good fuzzy sounds" it says in the article, and I have to agree. Big Square Wave, quite synthy texture on low notes and chords. "Abrupt decay" it says, but as jmusser comments in the earlier build report, this is more like a lack of sustain than short decay.

Mods - well, more like variations: TL071 sounds louder and crunchier than LM741, but not necessarily better, lower noise (but that's not something I care too much about). Jury's out.
I socketed to the two electro caps on the output - slightly higher values = more of a splatty 'bwaAAA!" sound, with an irregular ripple/double-beat and decay that I like, lower values = tighter and fizzier, but less distinctive IMO. Switches might be the way to go.

BTW the text (2nd page of original article only, 'Spring Edition, 1974') refers to this as the Optimum Fuzz. I'm not sure if this is related to Craig Anderton's Optimum Fuzz Adapter from around the same time, or if CA designed this one, but it's not the same circuit - an archived post on AMZ refers to diodes and this one hasn't got any.

ulysses

cool!

i like it when people put the schem on the vero layout :)

you should check out the software "DIY Layout Creator". its free and much easier than doing it in a graphics app.

cheers
ulysses

smnm

Quote from: ulysses on April 01, 2007, 07:37:52 AM
cool!
you should check out the software "DIY Layout Creator".

I'll post some clips when I get it boxed.
I would use bancika's software, but I'm a Mac user. It's not so bad doing it in photoshop once you get the hang of it.
I have a few more to do, then I might start an album.

Can anyone confirm or scotch the Anderton connection? I'd like to credit the designer, and casey for scanning the page, on the final version.

casey

Quote from: smnm on April 01, 2007, 08:59:55 AM
Quote from: ulysses on April 01, 2007, 07:37:52 AM
cool!
you should check out the software "DIY Layout Creator".

I'll post some clips when I get it boxed.
I would use bancika's software, but I'm a Mac user. It's not so bad doing it in photoshop once you get the hang of it.
I have a few more to do, then I might start an album.

Can anyone confirm or scotch the Anderton connection? I'd like to credit the designer, and casey for scanning the page, on the final version.

thanks for the props brother..... lot of work went into that little schematic archive...im glad someones getting some use out of it.

Casey Campbell