SD9 swap polypropylene with electrolytic capacitors?

Started by lukasott, October 17, 2023, 02:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukasott

Hey there, I'm building this pedal, and I was wondering if it's possible to swap out both the 680nf and the 1uf polypropylene capacitors with electrolytic capacitors. If so, could someone help me make sure I get the polarity right?

R.G.

Yes, it's possible, but electros have wider tolerances than film caps as well as other side effects.
You may not be able to get 680nF caps in electrolytic easily. For the 680s, the pin of the cap that connects to the opamp pin is the most positive one; put the + terminal there. For the 1uF, the pin that connects to the 10K is the most positive one.

You don't mention why you're doing this. I could guess that you have electros, but don't want to order the real parts. That's fine - I'm a big believer in getting something running, then ordering the perfect parts later. You could replace all of these with 1uF electros (same polarity notes) without much change in sound. They will all have a small effect on the amount of bass, but that may not be a big issue in the sound. If you're after the "original" sound, order the film caps while you enjoy the first pass of the pedal with the electros. Electros being not as accurate will affect the tone a  little.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

lukasott

Thanks a lot. You're right, I don't have 680nf film capacitors at home. Are there any recommended film caps for high values like 680nf or 1uf? (The 560nf I have are already pretty large.)

Mark Hammer

680nf are generally available in tantalum form.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I gather tantalum are not recommended in series with an audio signal.

antonis

edit: R.G. already answered..

P.S.
There are non-polarized electros too..
"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..