Orange Sqeezer trimpot setting?

Started by roofer1, April 03, 2007, 07:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roofer1

the tonepad layout of the orange squeezer.  all standard components (i used a 1N4001 diode), first time working around a trimpot...
so...
how does one set this thing?  when its all the way down the thing is off (which having read tonepad build reports seems standard).  all the way up it acts as a signal booster and introduces distortion.  i want it to be as clean as possible without being completely "breathy" and squished.  now i realize i just used a bunch of impossible to quantify adjectives, but i wanted to hear you guys' opinions on this...

thanks!

black mariah

Twist it around until it sounds good to you.

Simple as that. ;D

roofer1

right, yeah...i know its only going to sound perfect to one person...however, i was interested in finding out what is a typical balance between the loudest/gainiest side of the trimpot and the quieter/squashed side...

markm

Quote from: roofer1 on April 03, 2007, 07:40:28 PM
the tonepad layout of the orange squeezer.  all standard components (i used a 1N4001 diode)

Wait a minute.........
Are you sure about that?
I don't think that'll work?  ???

roofer1

i couldnt get a 1N100 or a 1N34A, i asked the dude at radioshack about these diodes and he suggested that as they were basically simple 1amp diodes, any 1amp diode would work...
correct?  or is this my problem?  i read a build report that suggested that the diode was pretty critical to the overall sound, but this report was referencing the amount of compression and how it relates to the trimpot setting.

roofer1

is there a "best" website to check out datasheets and substitution stuff.  for instance, i saw the guy at radioshack look at a website, but i couldnt tell what it was...

dxm1

Quote from: roofer1 on April 03, 2007, 08:23:09 PM
i couldnt get a 1N100 or a 1N34A, i asked the dude at radioshack about these diodes and he suggested that as they were basically simple 1amp diodes, any 1amp diode would work...
correct?  or is this my problem?  i read a build report that suggested that the diode was pretty critical to the overall sound, but this report was referencing the amount of compression and how it relates to the trimpot setting.

You may want to read RG's post in this thread:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=54308.0

It seems a germanium diode is required...

black mariah

Quote from: roofer1 on April 03, 2007, 08:23:09 PM

You can get 1N34A diodes from Pedal Parts Plus. They're super cheap.

roofer1

yeah, but not as cheap as smallbear, i am just sick of waiting a week and a half for 75 cents of parts...dang it.  i've used smallbear a few times now, but there have been a number of orders with missing items, or the wrong item...annoying (but steve still kicks ass, i am sure its not him personally who is loading every baggy and processing every order).
i read RG's killer post on the OS, he does point to the germanium, but this 1N4001 is doing something, its pretty cool and with nothing to compare it too i'm pretty happy right now...but i am going to have to order those germanium 1N34A diodes, oh the wait.

dxm1

Quote from: roofer1 on April 03, 2007, 11:33:48 PM
i am just sick of waiting a week and a half for 75 cents of parts...dang it.  i've used smallbear a few times now, but there have been a number of orders with missing items, or the wrong item...annoying

Steve frequents this forum. This _may_ not be an effective method to assure trouble free shipments...

yeah, but not as cheap as smallbear...but steve still kicks a$$

Ah, mucho beterro... Vindicated!

Since it looks like the circuit is depending on the voltage drop through the diode (0.3V for germanium), you may be able to tweak the value of the 100K resistor below it to compensate for the larger voltage drop of the 1N4001. Maybe try a 100K trimmer?

roofer1

dude, dont get me wrong...steve is amazing.  one time there was one little part left out of an order (admittedly small too, not some $1800 pedal binge) and i emailed about it...the next my phone rings...lo and behold if it isnt steve daniels calling to make sure all is well, we actually chatted about pedals and this and that for about 15 minutes.  it was awesome!  service with a smile and a new york accent.

well...about this trimmer or that resistor...i dont know, like i said, without a "proper" OS next to it, i am kind of digging this one...and that is DIY!  another learning experience...

dxm1

Quote from: roofer1 on April 04, 2007, 12:19:24 AM
i am kind of digging this one...and that is DIY!  another learning experience...

If you like the way your circuit sounds, that's great! That is the spirit of DIY. But you realize the DIY also stands for "Diddle Incessantly until You puke". Figuring out how different components affect the sound can be half the fun. Also, while Ge diodes are reasonably cheap and available now, this may not be the case in the future. If you were to tweak this circuit to sound the same with current production diodes, you could be doing the community a big favor...

bwanasonic

Quote from: roofer1 on April 03, 2007, 07:40:28 PM
the tonepad layout of the orange squeezer.  all standard components (i used a 1N4001 diode), first time working around a trimpot...
so...
how does one set this thing?  when its all the way down the thing is off (which having read tonepad build reports seems standard).  all the way up it acts as a signal booster and introduces distortion.  i want it to be as clean as possible without being completely "breathy" and squished.  now i realize i just used a bunch of impossible to quantify adjectives, but i wanted to hear you guys' opinions on this...

There is an insane amount of information here about the Orange Squeezer in the archives. Search for posts by Mark Hammer for a thorough examination of this circuit, and many great tips on tweaking it.

Kerry M

DryRoasted

Steve really is "Service", but I digress, yeah tweek yer trim pot till it sounds good, bear in mind the OS will add, for want of a better word, Grit to the mix so don't think this is wrong, I tweeked mine till I got a bit of grit and a lovely compression with a tiny bit of swelling.
Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

Mark Hammer

The diode will "subtract" a certain amount of voltage from the envelope signal and also not conduct until the signal amplitude reaches that particular voltage.  The higher that voltage is, the more "discontinuous" the compressor will behave (now it compresses, now it minds its own business).  So, although you CAN use a 1N4001 diode, it may not yield optimal performance unless you add a bit of gain to the op-amp.  Stock, it has a gain of x23, using a 220k and 10k resistor pair.  You may want to hike that up to 270k or even 330k just to be on the safe side, or else just stick a 100k trimpot in series with the 220k resistor and season to taste.

Ideally, you want to use a diode with a low voltage drop...like a germanium diode, and the stock circuit.  In my experience, keeping in mind it is Canadian experience, Radio Shack has always carried 10-packs of 1N34A germanium diodes.  In fact, despite their serious decline in discrete components over the past 30 years, they still do.  If you live anywhere with an industrial electronic outlet or even a TV repair place, you should be able to buy a single GE diode from someone.

mac

The guy at the counter looks at the specs. He may tell you that a 1N34 is equal to a 1N60. Or in your case that they are simply 1A diodes. But the guitar signal is smarter and can tell you the difference. BEWARE of salesmen, because they do not know how different sounds a Si and Ge diode, a jrc4558 and a rc4558, a j201 and a mpf102, etc.
Sometimes you may find circuits where different transistors, caps, diodes may sound the same, but in my experience thre are always at least subtles differences.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

Mark Hammer

Personally, I would not trust any current RS salesperson to be able to provide sound judgment about discrete components.  They are not morons, but components has become such a tiny segment of their stock that store managers are far more likely to look for knowledge of digital cameras, cellphones, cable TV, security systems, and computers when hiring before verifying that the person can tell the difference between diodes.  Same way you would not really care if a stockboy knew the difference between rapini and arugula if you were staffing a produce section in a supermarket.