painting a wah enclosure

Started by spiderman2812, April 04, 2007, 05:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderman2812

Has anyone ever painted a dunlop wah enclosure? I bought one off of ebay and it's in real good shape but i wuold like to paint it and there seems like no way to get the rocker pedal off of the base. Anyone ever tried this or should i just paint it while it's together?

BN

There's a pretty good description of how to do that somewhere here on the forum. Give the search function a try!  :) Search for something like "taking apart wah shell".

If you don't find it, please report back for further assistance.

/BN
"Rock 'n roll keeps you young, but you can only get away with that for so long. Eventually you become too old to stay young. And I think that's the point I reached" - David St. Hubbins

STOMPmole

You CAN paint it while it's together but it's easy to take it apart.  You just have to use a punch and hammer to knock out the pin holding the pedal onto the base.  The rubber foot pad can be peeled off the pedal too.  When you're done painting it and it's dry tap the pin back in with a hammer (being careful not to destroy your new paint job) and glue the rubber pad back on with contact cement.

MarcoMike

I painted my crybaby when I bought it beacause the original paint was almost completely peeled off. you can easilly remove the rubber pad and then re-glue it back when the paint work is done. there is no need to take it apart, in my opinion...
I used the cheapest acrylic spray paint (a "serious" light blue  ;D) directly on the metal and it is still quite nice (after almost 8 years)
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

Paul Marossy

When I painted my Maestro Boomerang clone, I only removed the foot paddle. I masked off the rubber part because in my experience, once you peel something like that off, it's never the same again and it wants to peel off again.

Here's what it looks like: http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/Boomerang.htm

Thomas P.

I took the rocker off once but it needed some vice and something like this

Then just drive the bolt out with a hammer.
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

spiderman2812

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the punch with the hammer. Guess my pliers and screwdriver were'nt enough.
Nice pedal paul. You did an outstanding job and by the way I love your site i visit it quite often.

Paul Marossy

QuoteGuess my pliers and screwdriver were'nt enough.

Yep, you need a hammer and a punch to get that pin out.

QuoteNice pedal paul. You did an outstanding job and by the way I love your site i visit it quite often.

Thanks!  Glad you like my website, too. :icon_cool:

spiderman2812

Well i got the pin out far enough to take it apart. It seemed like the last hole wanted to bend so i taped the pin off. Smashed my d@#* thumb in the process! Oh well no pain no gain!

Paul Marossy

I just realized that everyone failed to mention that the pin comes out and goes in only one way. I suppose you figured that out?  :icon_confused:

spiderman2812

Hopefully i didn't drive it out the wrong way. I hope it goes back in. What way would it be if you're looking down at the pedal with the back of it towards you?

Paul Marossy

If you look at the pin, one end has a serrated edge and the other one is smooth. You want to tap it out from the side that is opposite of that serrated end.

m-theory

Isn't this a royal pain in the posterior?  A hydraulic press would make it a breeze. 

Thomas P.

Quote from: m-theory on April 05, 2007, 04:51:59 PM
Isn't this a royal pain in the posterior?  A hydraulic press would make it a breeze. 

From the DIY point of view, of course  ;)
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

Thomas P.

Quote from: Paul Marossy on April 04, 2007, 05:45:41 PM
Thanks!  Glad you like my website, too. :icon_cool:

C'mon Paul, everyone does and you know it :D
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ