RM Octavia verified layout and voltages???

Started by powerplayj, April 04, 2007, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

I used the layout from Phillip's site:

Has anyone built this successfully using the same layout?  Can anyone be so kind to post their voltages?

The problem I have is that the effect is gated and there is no sustain whatsoever.  I have checked for solder bridges, cap orientation, and component values and all seem to be OK.  The voltages measured are below (battery = 9.12V)

Q1
     e: 4.3 V
     b: 3.6 V
     c: 2.9 V

Q2
     c: 5.6 V
     b: 2.9 V
     e: 2.3 V

Q3
     c: 6.0 V
     e: 3.0 V

Q4
     c: 0
     b: 4.1 V
     e: 3.4 V

Based on suggestions in other threads I have tried other transistors like 5N2088, 5N2089's in place of Q1-Q3 with no luck.   

FWIW, I have searched and found the following links the most helpful:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=35560.0

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=35506.20
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

warioblast

I totally screwed up my first voltage measures (see the link you posted) and for an odd reason my post with my good voltages didn't show up  :-\
Well here are the voltages from my original RM octavia

battery 9.09

Q1:
e 4.29
b 3.13
c 2.85

Q2:
e 2.05
b 1.45
c 5.61

Q3:
e 2.72
b 3.11
c 6.14

Q4
e 3.45
b 2.14
c 8.99

Obviously you have problems with Q4  :o

powerplayj

Thanks for posting...

yeah, sometimes the collector is 9V ... sometimes it's 0V.  Anyone know if there should be  a swing here or do I have a solder bridge?
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia

powerplayj

I double-checked and it seems like I was shorting my probe on an adjacent component.  The collector on Q4 is 9.44V so it looks like I am quite close to your voltages.  Maybe this is what it should sound like but it still seems a bit gated with very little sustain.  I guess I could try the Tyco instead????

Q1
     e: 4.3 V
     c: 2.9 V

Q2
     c: 5.6 V
     b: 2.9 V
     e: 2.3 V

Q3
     c: 6.0 V
     e: 3.0 V

Q4
     c: 9.4V
     b: 4.1 V
     e: 3.4 V

warioblast

Here's a short video I made before I sold my clone. At the same settings, my clone sounded a bit more trebly, and wasn't tracking notes as good as the original.
http://fabrice.detang.club.fr/pa/octavia2.avi
RM website now offers clips, there are also many RM pedals clips at custom-sounds.com
With the fuzz pot down, it does sound gated with very little sustain.

powerplayj

Thanks for the video reference...

I'm thinking maybe I need to play with the volume/gain a bit along with my stacked fuzz settings (Axis & '69).  I was aware that this effect wasn't supposed to be refined but, I was at least expecting it not to be so sputtery/gated.  Mine doesn't do the chording and double-note passages quite as smooth as heard from the clips on the RM site.  I'll tinker a bit more before I totally give up and try the Tyco.  At least most of the parts are quite similar......

Thanks,

Jason

powerplayj

Last question....

Did you try to match diodes for your clone or did you go with the first two you had on hand?  I'm thinking if my voltages are right and if changing transistors has no significant effect, maybe I should play with the diodes a bit.

warioblast

I learned about matching diodes a few months ago, so no I didn't try to match them.
I just swapped transistors, trying to get as close as I could to the target voltages.

I now own both RM octavias, the rocket and the vision.
The vision is fatter and tracks lower notes way better than the rocket. But even when I used the buffered output and maxed out the tone knob it doesn't get as trebly as the rocket. Right now I don't know which one I'm going to sell.
One day I'll open the vision to see what's inside.

rasco22862

In that layout Q1 shouldnt be backwards? Because th e 2n3906 is like this:

---> (Flat side, looking from top)
|E B C|

royzic

hi man

Go to this thread for the corrected schem (by analogguru)
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=53494.msg406262#msg406262

you might find your answer there

-Roy

powerplayj

Thanks for reviving my thread guys.  This circuit was dead to me so, now there is hope.  I'll check Q1 orientation.  As far as the layout goes only my 47p input cap was off.  These two changes may be enough to elevate the tone to my expectations.  I was planning to do home improvement projects all weekend but, I now see a slight glow in the soldering iron!!!

tcobretti

Quote from: warioblast on April 11, 2007, 07:33:22 AM
I learned about matching diodes a few months ago, so no I didn't try to match them.
I just swapped transistors, trying to get as close as I could to the target voltages.

I now own both RM octavias, the rocket and the vision.
The vision is fatter and tracks lower notes way better than the rocket. But even when I used the buffered output and maxed out the tone knob it doesn't get as trebly as the rocket. Right now I don't know which one I'm going to sell.
One day I'll open the vision to see what's inside.

Wario, can we please, please, please get some gutshots of both sides of the circuit board of your Vision series Octavia?  Please?

rasco22862

http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/oct.mp3

Is that thing "octaving"?

i just finished and, im not sure if its working. I have right voltages i think.

tcobretti

OCTAVE RECIPE:

use guitar's front pickup
guitar's volume knob turned down a tiny bit
guitar's tone knob turned down (the amount varies from a little to all the way depending on the pedal/guitar)
turn the pedal's fuzz knob down almost all the way,
turn the pedal's vol up almost all the way

add salt to taste

then rock

Remember that the octave will be most pronounced above the 10th fret of the guitar.

powerplayj

Quote from: rasco22862 on May 21, 2007, 03:57:11 PM
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/oct.mp3

Is that thing "octaving"?

i just finished and, im not sure if its working. I have right voltages i think.

Mine works.....just not to my satisfaction.  I'll search out the correct components tonight.