power amp build

Started by scaesic, April 05, 2007, 08:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scaesic

im looking for a simple ss power amp for a practice amp at bedroom volumes. it must have quite a bit of headroom, i plan on using the mosfet boost as a preamp to it and want the amp to be good for "clean" as its not to be used for overdriving

id prefer something class a? any suggestions? around 15-30 watts?

axeman010

Hi

There are some nice simple builds at the General Guitar Gadgets site, although they are chip based amps rather than discrete transistor amps. Still worth a look though !

Axeman.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way

scaesic

id quite like to build something with more headroom / higher voltages.

petemoore

id quite like to build something with more headroom / higher voltages.
   I looked all around at amp builds, the LM3886tf is a fine power amp IMO, I had some irons laying around..so.. cheeep for me to do.
  This one had the combination of simple/high performance/inexpensive [if you have iron]..I spent 6 on the first one, 20 on the second one.   
  The other one 'running close', I didn't try, is similar, a TDA2050 [2030?] amp.
  Just before that I used power mosfets to build 2 amps, I liked the 'color' of the sound, but the innefeciency and low power [<2w]...just fine but I often need more power...but sounds PDgood and I powered them with WW's from grab bag of Wall warts.
  Maybe I didn't search around for days enough, but I found the LM or TDA type amps to be best choices for my needs and resources, and opted for the LM's, specifically the LM3886tf, which has the insulated body.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

axeman010

Quoteid quite like to build something with more headroom / higher voltages.

The LM3886 has a supply voltage range of 18V - 84V.

Is that High enough for you ?

Axeman
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way