Can somebody recommend a compressor project that would be good for vocals?

Started by zachomega, April 07, 2007, 01:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachomega

Obviously the orange squeezer is out...Plus I already have one...But any suggestions?

-Zach Omega

Meanderthal

The Flatline looked like it has promise as a possible vocal compressor...

But, why not an OS? Too noisy? That kinda subtlety really works well on vocals, sounds better if ya can't really hear any 'squash'. Yer more tryin to keep the vocals from fading in and outta the mix... traditionally anyway...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

slacker

Have a look at Johan's LA Light http://aronnelson.com/gallery/johan/LA_Light_last_one_001 which was designed to be a general purpose compressor not just a guitar effect.
Or if you want something more complicated try the Joe Cheep or What? compressors http://dt.prohosting.com/hacks/what.html

petemoore

Mic Comp.
  ='s
  You'll probably want strong HF response and low noise.
  Getting that..means paying attention to what the input sees, because when small input is seen [ie you're not singing] attenuation is lifted, whatever is there for noise is amped'alot...so cables, shielding, short input wires, if you've got big input resistors you might wanna get the pricey ones...stuff like that, maybe low noise actives.
  Then you get to what task do you need a comp for?
  Personally, I would want a...expander? 'de-compressor' for vocals...so the mic like...turns on more when I'm singing, cuts back when I'm not. Something like that will clean up a stage mix big time...having hot mics sprinkled about a stage means major hash comes right out the speakers...I'd want a mic turner-downer [when not singing] because then volume before feedback could possibly be markedly increased into popular, less substantial monitor systems. When the mic element is getting shaken by a vocal chord, the feedback from the speaker seems small = no feedback..until you stop singing...but that too probably has a limited real-life benefit...mainly I'd want 'em on stage mics to clean up the mix coming out of the speakers...Something In the mixing board?...would seem pretty logical to have this, especially on...many channels. Great way to get that is a mike mute welcome mat. Step off the mat the mic turns off.
  Wayy OT yet ?
  Anyway...maybe you want less boomy bass? something after the channels are summed...perhaps a bass only compressor?
  You just want something for the studio to make vocals tape louder without overpeaking?
  Or for studio to make a compressey sound to the vocals?
  I'm taking the less 'techy' approach because I think most of these compressors can compress, and can be made to do more or less of it, some may be exactly what'll do the trick as shown, I think you'll need to try something and decide if you desire still say a different ramp up/ramp down rate or steadiness to the attenuation variations.
  So...I'd say re-sum the needs/application side of the equation, then just start with a compressor suggestion...there are lots of reads, lots of options, say pick one that is simple which is also tweekable, get it compressing, tweek it. Or get one with ..5 knobs [would be my plan B] simple has advantages.
   But, why not an OS? Too noisy? That kinda subtlety really works well on vocals, sounds better if ya can't really hear any 'squash'
  My OS is dirt quiet....if you want squish, choose a "more powerful compressor ["any of them IIRC], otherwise the OS would be a fine choice, not much ramp up/ramp down to worry about...smooth, subtle, nice.
  I think you're going to wanna hear some squish for some reason..my modded Dyna does that hard, I haven't 'low noised' it...but I think it's more for guitar...where noise isn't so critical [I think it's that the input level is raised to such a degree as to amp whatever 'non-compressor-source' input noise I have, the compressor is just doing it's job as it should, amplifying to  greater degree whatever hash I have...using seriesed stompboxes and long cables and..when the input from the pickups drops below a certain point, the attenuation drops too...what's left is the noise floor, starts looking bigger when input drops..not too bad but nowhere near pristine. Mic/Balanced mic cables and fewer jacks and cables and stompswitches would probably improve noise levels w/small input.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tcobretti

Compression is one of those effects that can vary wildly in usage.  For some things you might want light "squash-less" compression, but for others you might want full blown peak limiting where the signal cannot get higher than the threshold.  I use limiters far more than I use compression, and I use them on almost everything but the guitars.  So, I would be looking for the compressor with the most tuning options.  I know AMZ has a project using the difficult to find in DIP-8 SSM2166 (small bear has them for $8.75).  This offers mucho flexibility and is very simple overall.

http://www.muzique.com/ssm.htm

Gus

google any of the classic/current compressors and DIY.  There is even stuff about the fairchild 670.

There is lots of stuff on the web even kits.

I did not give any links because I believe the search is worth the time sometime you find other cool things.

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

petemoore

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Aharon

I built a WHAT comp..................very quiet  subtle unit.......optimized for vocals.
Aharon
Aharon

Meanderthal

I am not responsible for your imagination.

Dave_B

Help build our Wiki!

zachomega

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far guys!  I'll have some searching to do for some of the schematics. 

I suppose I should also be a bit more specific about what I am looking for...

It doesn't need to be 9 volt powered...
Doesn't need to be solid state either...
I was looking into LA2A clones, but the opto units and transformer input transformers ruled it out cost wise.  Sure a 500$ LA2A is a great deal, but just entirely unaffordable at the moment. 

The OS is out because it isn't subtle at all...Too much gain of its own.  It isn't a noise issue. 

The main use the compressor would be getting is vocals and acoustic guitar...As many of you know who record acoustic guitars, the transients are all over the place.  This greatly limits the total volume I can record at without clipping.  Also, I like to do a lot of one take vocal/guitar tracks. 

Hope this helps focus in a little better on what I am looking for from a compressor without being too specific?  I don't know.  Anyway, any more suggestions are very appreciated.

-Zach Omega

markm

Quote from: Dave_B on April 08, 2007, 01:39:35 PM
I'd go for the Weak Joe, which is an offshoot of the What compressor.

I agree with Dave B
Being a Comp-Junkie, I've been meaning to tackle the Weak Joe and the What for sometime now.
Looks like these could very well be what you're looking for Zach.  ;)

Joe Kramer

Hey ZO,

I recommend the Craig Anderton opto-comp from EPFM2.  Simple, quiet, unobtrusive-sounding.  Only two op-amps in the signal path and two knobs on the front panel.  Use good quality op amps and parts, power it with 15-18 volts.  I built a stereo version and use it all the time for vocals, acoustic guitar, drums.

Regards,
Joe
Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

zachomega

Once again, you guys have been fantastic with your responses.  I read all of the links associated with this thread.  I'm kind of a compression noobie...

I noticed all of the compressors recommended have opto components in them...Are there any decent non-opto compressors available?  Or is it more than just a coincidence that most of the compressors are opto based?  What about non-IC based compressors? 

Just curious mostly.  I have heard some non opto compressors for guitar...They were interesting...They were mostly modified OS type circuits.  I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with that style circuit...I think the particular effects I was using were just trying not to be subtle.  They also tend to do the pumping thing on the decay...or I guess it is called release on a compressor. 

The only reason I ask is that I have no way to make PCBs.  Once multiple ICs become involved, it is a bit out of my league on the PCB level.  I have no doubt that I could construct the thing otherwise. 

Also more details that I don't know if they matter or not...I'm using an Audio Technica AT2020 Condensor into a Behringer UB802 (Yeah, I know it is junky, but it has phantom power) board run into my computer's generic sound card.  I record into audacity (because it is free and easy) and use non of their plugins as they are terrible...and the VST plug ins don't have graphics making them pretty worthless. 

-Zach Omega

tcobretti

The SSM based compressor I recommended wasn't optical, and it's actually fairly simple.

zachomega

Doh!  Sorry!  I completely missed that link...Checking it out now!  :) 

-Zach Omega

Quote from: tcobretti on April 08, 2007, 11:05:58 PM
The SSM based compressor I recommended wasn't optical, and it's actually fairly simple.

KMS

The Orange Squeezer is an excellent circuit.......prime for modifications..........and can be made to have no distortion and thus makes an excellent  compressor for vocals. The beauty of this circuit is that it has hardly any parts and thus there are less things to go wrong and make noise (simple logic is always best if it works). I have RNC (Really Nice Compressor) that I bought new about 6 months back and my OS is just as good as the RNC (except the RNC is a stereo compressor with led indicators for level of compression)....but my OS has a multitude of mods that I developed by reading RG's suggestions and also Mark Hammer's suggestions.  Most guys ask me.....why did you make an OS and take that cool sound out of it?  The reason why I did that is because if I want distortion or warmth I will get that out my tubes or my multitude of distortion FX.

My OS is engaged full time. It has no apparent distortion.

My OS is the best compressor I have ever heard and so far everyone that has played on it or used it agrees with that opinion.

If you want the mods that I used search Orange Squeezer on this forum and look for my user name where you might need to read several posts to find it....but more important read what RG and Mark Hammer have written about it over on GGG because that is how I developed my testing and made my mods.

FYI I do not use a battery either....variable regulated PS set at 8.4VDC.
DIY with-a-little-help from my freinds
DIY with-a-little-help from my freinds

Johan

initially inspired by the LA2a and intended as a simple work-alike in a lite-version( same building blocks, just a lot simpler), for recording vocals, bass and such..evolved without being more complicated and if I may say so myself...works great for what it was designed for...it is real suptle and smooth, wich is probably why it will never take off from here...too smooth for FX-compression, but again, great for recording..
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=51282.0

j
DON'T PANIC

Dave_B

In addition to the tcobretti's suggestion, you might be interested in the Pico.  The circuit looks to be about the same level of complexity and professional-quality boards are available.

It might help to know that some of these suggestions are common topics at the Prodigy Pro forum.
Help build our Wiki!