Tone Bender MkIII - Question

Started by The Surgeon, April 07, 2007, 03:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Surgeon

-Just finished my 3 knob Tone Bender- clone. I used pcb and schematics from Fuzz Central.

Transistors are from Small Bear (just like my all germaniums). Now it seems that I managed to built
something that is a bit too heavy for me. Maybe this is a silly question but anyway:

Pedal works fine, no noticable amount of hiss, cleans up well when guitar´s volume is turned lower,
very good chord definition, wide tonal range BUT: even the gain turned all the way down there is good
amount of distortion present. I think that´s the way it suppose to be.

Collector voltages (battery 9,7V) are 3,27 Q1/Q2 and 4,23 Q3. I use Fuzz Faze, Axis Face Silicon and sometimes Creampie
or some OD pedal. I built it cause FF and CP sounds very good, also AFS too. But it surprised me; there is simply too much
gain for my use. So what is the best way to  tame it a bit without loosing tonal charasteristics? Something like
lower 18K resistor to Q3? -Did´nt experience anything yet. Maybe I have to sell this....

Guitars are Strat and Tele and amps are custom made AC15 and champ clones. If somebody have tried anything like that
please tell me (usually we want MORE gain all the time!).

mcasey1

That is the way my 2-knob tonebender is, the gain pot subtly changes the amount of fuzz, and shapes the attack a bit.  I think it is normal.