Dr Boogey Layout

Started by suregork, April 09, 2007, 07:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suregork

Hello all,

I'm a diy-enthusiast from Finland hoping to learn about and build pedals. I've been lurking around the forum for about a year, and am a DIY beginner, having built 3 guitars and the forum's beginner project (NPN Boost). Schematics have always looked scary in my eyes, and I used a vero layout from the gallery for my boost build, and had planned to use a vero layout from the gallery for my next build. But then it struck me that I will never learn anything if I just copy other people's layouts, and thought I would try to draw my own vero layout from a schematic. I chose the Dr Boogey, as it is a pedal that I'll probably build sometime in the future (not my next pedal though), and it seemed somewhat complicated. Anyways, I'm posting this topic to ask if someone with some spare time and experience could scan tthrough the layout and see if it okay. The trimpots could be a source of error, as I'm not sure if they are oriented correctly. The layout could probably be shrunken down as well, as there is quite much free space. Thanks in advance!

The Layout:

The Original Schematic:

The .diy file for anyone who wishes to edit it:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/mkrogerus/suregork/Dr_Boogey.diy
Successfully built: Mosfet Boost, Red Llama, Crunch Box, SHO, RM Voodoo Vibe, Fuzz Face, Ross Comp, 9V Electric Mistress, Modded Crybaby

MartyMart

Looks quite nice suregork, but here's a couple of suggestions :

1 - move the 9v input to the far right of the board and add a 100uf to ground/100n to ground
for PWR filtering and a reversed 1N4001 for protection.
2 - the link from VR1 to drain of Q1 could cause problems being angled like that, unless it's
covered wire and NOT a piece of bare jumper wire - could be neater here.
3 -  Q2's gate and source have track "cuts" after yes ? can't see 'em here !
also is there a cut under c16 ?

Nice and tight layout, well done  :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

slacker

Nice work, very brave for a first attempt at a vero layout  :)
It looks correct to me, like Marty said the connection from VR1 to Q1 could be a problem. You could make it neater by moving C3 one space to the right, move the trace cut at c4 to c5 then drop the jumper straight down from c4 to g4. 

suregork

Thanks for the comments, and sorry for the late reply (I'm in the army, completing my compulsory military service we have in my country).

MartyMart: Yes, it makes much more sense moving the 9v to the right as there is so much free room  :icon_redface:. And as you and slacker pointed out the jumper could be a problem. I'll try to modify the layout a bit as soon as I have some time.

About Q2, gate and source have track cuts (g12 and h12) after them, was it this you couldn't see? And about a cut at c16, are you sure there should be one, as in the schematic C10 is wrapped around the trimmer (VR3)?

Thanks for your comments and feedback.. 
Successfully built: Mosfet Boost, Red Llama, Crunch Box, SHO, RM Voodoo Vibe, Fuzz Face, Ross Comp, 9V Electric Mistress, Modded Crybaby

stm

Some optimization tips:

1) Rows (a) and (b) are 9V+ all the way, so there is no need for any of the four track cuts in row (b)
2) In a similar manner, only one jumper from row (a) to row (b) is needed, instead of five!
3) Finally, there is an elegant way to improve the diagonal wire jumper from (c1) to (g4):
    - Move track cuts at (c4), (e5) and (f5) one step to the right
    - Move capacitor C3 one step to the right
    - Reroute jumper from (c1) to (g4) now between (c4) and (g4)

I don't have time to check the full layout, it's just these optimizations that became evident in the quick glance I took at it.

Cheers.