my first DIY stompbox Big MuFF Pi

Started by atomsize, April 09, 2007, 06:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atomsize

Hi all!

i've made this little big muff pi for a friend, as a gift for birthday. I'm not a guitar player, i'm more of a keyboard player, but i like to build my fx boxes, so this was a great chabce for me to try building a gift. The story of this stompbox is simple, my friend likes Pink Floyd a lot, and we were talking one day and told me that PF used the BMP. Since my friend is studiyng astronomy i've decided to make a personalized case, looking a little fooger(moog) and spacy. All was made by me, even the aluminiun cutting and painting. The labels were printed in labels and glued. the end was a little of glossy varnish to get all fixed.
At the background is my little helper, 2 years old, and very helpfull ;)

Hope you like it! It's not finished yet, the wood panels need to be darkened with varnish, and wiring ned to be ended.

:icon_redface:

jlullo

phaseman

Congrats and welcome   ;D !!
Very cool graphics!

O

Looking good! Don't forget the obligatory gut shots  :icon_biggrin:

atomsize

Thanks all!

I'm going to try finish it tomorow... then i shall take pics of the guts. The wooden panels need more time, but tomorow it should have a better look.

thanks again :D

nordine

beautiful!

looks like an old spacecraft,
love the 'hugeness' of all of it

any rear pics?

Rafa

Congratulations, have you tried it in your keyboard ;) ?Maybe you get some Deep Purplish sound
Cheers
Rafa

km-r

Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

remmelt

MikeH

Thats awesome.  You should see my first build...  ::)
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

atomsize

Here's an update... and more pics!

I'm getting some problems, but i think its the wiring thats not right...need to double check tomorow ;)
Now the pics:
A look after 2 hands of varnish... getting darker and pretty ;)

The guts and the mess inside!

another closeup of the guts!

Now, i have some questions... since i didnt wanted to spend extra money on parts, i've used those bigs orange caps, they are 1uF 400v ceramic caps. I'm using the tonepad layout, stock version of the BMP. Are these caps ok for it? or i should go to the polarized ones (electrolitics)?

Thanks in advance!

rockgardenlove

They should work methinks, but the sound might not be so great.  You'll need different cap values than just 1uF. 

atomsize

Well! I finally get it over! There was a mistake in the wiring and the big orange 1uF100v caps sound bad comparing to 1uF16v electro caps.

Now... i'm addicted to this!!!!!! Next is the Reboote delay 2.5 and a Maestro FSH1. Those are going to be for me :D

regards!

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

darron

that's a cool looking case too. a hybrid between wood and aluminium (: i think it's cool how people still decide to make the big muffs in oversized enclosures, and wood just adds to it!

you should post the pictures in this thread also http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36392.0
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!