True bypass technique article.

Started by darron, April 11, 2007, 05:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darron

Quote from: sjaltenb on April 13, 2007, 05:53:11 AM
im sorry for being a "newbie" but im about to build a huge Pete Cornish style board that will use about a dozen 3pdt true bypass circuits so i want to make sure i do everything to the best specs to reduce any and all noise!...so i want to make sure i understand this correctly..

i should put a 1m resistor inline between the "fx send" on the 3pdt and the "input" on the board, and between the "output" on the board and the "fx return" on the 3pdt?   

Im still learning and reseraching but im learning very quickly! however...all these grounds etc kind of confuse me  ??? Anyways, again sorry for being slow

Thanks Darron

i think you may have missed it. the drop down resistor would hook up between 'effect return' and ground. don't bother with the effect send one though since the effect will be hooked up to ground in bypass with that method already. i suppose i'll update that in the article. ground, is the connection that you have between all of the cable shielding which absorbs the radio interference.

it's a very simple step to just install the resistor later on the effect return jack if you think that you need it.

Quote from: QSQCaito on April 13, 2007, 05:15:03 PM
Very good indeed.

I'd like to make a suggestion. But It wouldn't be about the essentials of true bypass. Just better ways of wiring the DPDT. As Rg posted.. Or I can't really remember who. By this way Input is sent to ground when effect bypassed:
Green: Guitar Input
Violet: Effect Input
Brown: Guitar Output
Orange/pinky: Effect Output.
Black: Ground

that's a better dpdt option than what is in the article because it once again eliminates that extra switch. i guess i was mostly concentrating on improving the 3pdt switch. i'll make an adjustment to state that it should be applied to dpdt aswell. thanks (:
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!