PCB manufacturing

Started by vince, April 11, 2007, 11:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vince

Hey guys (and girls) ;D

I am planning to build a power supply to fit in my homemade pedalboard. I would like to design the circuit and have it manufactured on a PC Board.  I checked ExpressPCB.com  It seems to be fairly cheap...
But I'd like to hear what service do you guys use when you want to build PCBs ? Any tips, suggestions and comments would be appreciated!

Thanks
Vincent

John Lyons

Express PCB is going to be about $50 for a one off board.
That's pretty expensive!
You can build one yourself fairly easily or have someone make one for you here.
There are many tutorials and threds here about making your own.

I can make on for you if you want. Just email me with the specifics.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Rafa

I design and build my own PCBs sometimes with a marker, but you get better results with pnp or other methods.

axg20202

Quote from: Rafa on April 11, 2007, 11:52:08 AM
you get better results with pnp or other methods.

+1.  Jump in, the water's warm.  Making your own PCBs with PnP is actually pretty easy with some basic tools and once you know how you'll be able to make all sorts of cool stuff.

vince

Quote from: Basicaudio on April 11, 2007, 11:49:11 AM
Express PCB is going to be about $50 for a one off board.
That's pretty expensive!
You can build one yourself fairly easily or have someone make one for you here.
There are many tutorials and threds here about making your own.

I can make on for you if you want. Just email me with the specifics.

John

Well I guess it's cheaper to do it yourself than have it done...
In fact, a few months I read one tutorial about etching a PCB and bought the copper board, laser photopaper and drill bits. Some relative kinda dissuade me to do so, stating the complicated process. I ought to tright it though...

What if I were to e-mail you the Gerber files ? How much would you ask for a.. let's say 4" X 8" ? Yes, it's big.. It's an 8-ouput power supply.

Thanks
Vince

BMF Effects

Batch PCB is a good place for one off boards.

Pros - Nice quality boards, reasonable pricing.
Cons - I've waited six weeks for one board.

Hanglow

I looked into getting PCB Train to do some for me, but it's £40 for one. But, if you put 50 or so on one design it works out about £6 each I think (off the top of my head). They will also populate the boards fairly cheaply as well if you want. of course, that's taking away  the fun/torture

my brother uses them a lot for his designs, I might try and get him to tack on a couple next time he uses them

moosapotamus

You might also consider soldering up your power supply on perfboard. Routing for power circuits is usually relatively simple.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

vince

Quote from: moosapotamus on April 11, 2007, 04:01:20 PM
You might also consider soldering up your power supply on perfboard. Routing for power circuits is usually relatively simple.

~ Charlie

I guess I could do it that way, but I just need a bigger challenge this time :icon_biggrin:

Does anyone know a good tutorial for etching a PCB ?

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

calculating_infinity

Quote from: vince on April 12, 2007, 12:48:33 AM
Quote from: moosapotamus on April 11, 2007, 04:01:20 PM

~ Charlie

I guess I could do it that way, but I just need a bigger challenge this time :icon_biggrin:

Does anyone know a good tutorial for etching a PCB ?

Straight from the Wiki. 
http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/index.php?title=PrintedCircuitBoards

I hear there are hidden treasures in the FAQ's and all those link's up top.   :icon_wink:

Have fun! 

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

By all means go DIY PCB, but you know....... a power supply is probably the only thing where point to point wiring makes sense!
It makes sense because most of the parts are large and really need to be mounted physically anyway.

Of course, I'd use vero - but that's just me, and I'm pretty lazy sometimes.

GREEN FUZ

As a complete novice I would definitely recommend you try making your own. You already have the necessary equipment and with a bit of care it`s not that difficult.

This is my second attempt using the laser print transfer method

Here`s a couple of additional links that might help.http://www.instructables.com/id/EI62IFRLH4EP2863TS/?ALLSTEPS
http://www.instructables.com/id/ELB1VS99EIEP28798Z/?ALLSTEPS
BTW, credit to basicaudio for the layout.

vince

Thanks for all the links!
It doesn't seem hard afterall... :icon_biggrin:

Just one question though:
What kind of component do you use to connect the Mains wire to the board ? And same question to connect the different outputs to the board. I don't want to just solder the wire to the pad... I was thinking of maybe using Molex connectors. Any other idea?

Thanks
Vince

John Lyons

Green Fuz
Let us know how that Skyripper works out for you.
Thanks for the nod
That board looks real  nice!

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

GREEN FUZ

QuoteLet us know how that Skyripper works out for you.
Will do. I`m sure I`ll have plenty of questions to ask but I`ll save them for another post. .