Thor opamp substitution options

Started by Ponchus, April 12, 2007, 10:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponchus

Hey everyone- quasi-noob here...I just built an ROG Thor, got the enclosure hooked up lovely (I'll get some pics on here soon  :icon_mrgreen:), got the wiring done up pretty clean, and everything ready to fire up. The only thing left was to plug the trannys and opamp into the sockets (I always leave that for last) and D'OH!!! I ordered a freaking surface-mount version of the opamp (TL071) instead of a DIP 8!!! Did that with my last project too  :icon_mad: Why can't I get through ordering parts without forgetting something or ordering a wrong part!!!!??!

Anyway, enough of my venting. My question is about using an LM741 instead of a TL071. Instead of paying like $8 shipping from Mouser, I'd love to just swing by the Rat Shack to get whatever they have. Which turns out (as per their website) to be an LM741CN. Would this work, and secondly would this sound good?

Thanks

alderbody

just have on mind that the TL071 is a single op-amp.

check the relative datasheets.

btw, from my experience, the Thor with the "original" TL071 sounds awesome...

petemoore

Anyway, enough of my venting. My question is about using an LM741 instead of a TL071. Instead of paying like $8 shipping from Mouser, I'd love to just swing by the Rat Shack to get whatever they have. Which turns out (as per their website) to be an LM741CN. Would this work, and secondly would this sound good?
  Might sound better with a 741 I think, but no way of knowing.
  Observing that there are single opamps with different pinout than Dual Opamps, you'll be ok as long as the pins on the triangles and PS match the opamp.
  *If it's a dual opamp build, I'd get a TL082 from yer RS.
  I like using what I have or can get, *any dual will work well.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dxm1

Both the TL071 and LM741 have the same pinout in the PDIP-8 package, so corking in a 741 would work from a pin connection viewpont. However, they use different transistor types on the inputs. In some aplications, this would preclude the substitution. In this case, I think it would work alright. If you don't like the sound with the 741, just put an 072 on your next large Mouser order. At least you will have it working...

stm

The TL071 is better quality (lower noise, higher speed, negligible input impedance) than the LM741.  One of the tasks of this opamp is to filter the high end. In this particular case I'd expect an LM741 to sound different, don't know if that means better or worse.

You should try and see if you like it.  Also, I'd solder some thin wire leads to the SMT TL071 and then solder them to the PCB.  In fact, you just need to solder 5 out of the 8 pins to have it running.

Ponchus

awesome thanks for the responses. I was just about to walk to the Shack. I think I'll try the 741 and use it to at least see if the build works. Thanks STM for the idea of using the SMT with thin leads. I didn't even think of that.  :icon_mrgreen:

stm

Yes, by all means try first the 741 to verify everything's working.  Then you may try the SMT TL071, and if it doesn't work, you know the problem is in the IC wiring and not in the circuit itself. Divide and conquer!