Important announcement re: forum

Started by aron, April 13, 2007, 01:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

I have stated in this thread before:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=21.0

but I will state it again. Once people start calling other people names and start getting abusive - I will suspend your account. I never used to do this, but I'm at the point where I don't want abusive people here anymore.

Many of you are obviously very talented and could have lots to contribute - but for some reason choose to display your bad side instead.

Another thing. If I lock a thread, it's because I don't like the path the thread is taking. If I don't like a thread at all, I will either delete or lock it immediately. Once it takes a "turn" to having useless comments, I may lock or delete posts.

People can edit their posts after posting. Although there's a time limit, there's enough time to let your actions stand. I can only assume that if you post abusive statements, you wanted them to stand as-is.

jonathan perez

THANK YOU ARON!

man...this forum needs a good clean up. give it a month or two, we'll be right back to where we were a little under a year ago. peacefully DIOurselving.  :)
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Mark Hammer

While to some, this announcement may seem like shackles, really and truly it is tantamount to saying "You can go anywhere you like, but you can't leave North America".  There is still a whole lotta space left to wander in.

Same thing with the forum.  Threat of suspension does NOT preclude anyone from: a) thinking first before they say something and saying it in a less aggressive or offensive way, b) having second thoughts and going back to edit the post, or c) simply apologizing and clarifying what one really wanted to say in less hostile or disruptive terms.  Similarly, threadlocks do not prevent anyone from pursuing the same topic in another new thread, but with the emotional slate wiped clean, and the bloodlust factored out.  Many of the threadlocks have not been because of the topic, but rather because of the manner in which discussion of that topic had spun out of control.

On a per capita basis, we are probably still one of the best-behaved forums on the web.  However, the larger number of members, and increased rate of new memberships means that there are more chances for misbehaviour or crossed wires to occur, hence more work for Aron as moderator, if only in terms of the amount of vigilance required.

But, you know, the same way you can decide you're only going to eat "healthy" and still be able to eat lots of great food that makes your mouth water, leaves you with great memories, and does not reduce you to celery sticks and radishes, you can decide you're going to have a well-behaved forum, without forfeiting knowledge, free expression of good ideas, humour and cameraderie.

aron

I have increased the edit time to 2 hours. That should be more than enough time to decide whether you really want that post to stand.

QSQCaito

Thank you Aron, you're a very (if it's correct the word) dedicated person to the forum.

I'll add that when I came to this forums(from Paul Marrossy's forum) it was very nice, people were very helpful, because we all were, or at least we all tried. Some new and unpacient people came and got mad god knows why. That people is slowly making long-time forum members angry, or they're losing empathy towards the forum. And that needs to be stopped. Which is what you're doing. thank you.

BYe bye!

DAC

PS Just my point of you, btw
D.A.C

zachomega

I'm fortunate in that I haven't seen many of the abusive posts mentioned. 

Aron, I love the forum, keep up the awesome work! 

Mark Hammer, that was a great analogy!

-Zach Omega

WGTP

Hell Aron, it's your forum.  Run it the way you want.  If people don't like it, they can go start their own forum.  You have done a GREAT Service to the members and the music/pedal community/world.   There is no need for a bunch of BS around here.   :icon_cool: :icon_cool: :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

brett

Thanks Aron.  It's an excellent job you do here.
The grief was making me wonder whether this was fun anymore, so it's good to hear that badly behaved neighbours will get eviction notices.
IMO Mark H is right on the money.  There are always ways to object without being objectionable.
cheers

Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

aron

I should also point out that many times a post will be done in the heat of the moment. All of us can get upset at any given time and do things that we regret later. I really do believe we have extremely talented people here and I appreciate it.

DDD

I have to say I've met many polite people here on the Forum. As for me, the Forum seems to be the best guitar electronics forum.
Thanks Aron.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I've said it before: there are only two kinds of boards, the moderated boards, and the boards that don't work.
Nobody enjoys moderating: but I believe the moderator is as important as the server.
And, it's suprising how little moderation is needed!!!!

newbie builder

Glad to hear the edit time is increased- sometimes I check back in on a thread an hour later to find I've written something idiotic (stupid typo, wrong fact etc) and can't edit it- very frustrating! It is true there have been more problems than in the past of late, this is still one of the best behaved forums on the net. Thanks for all the hard work Aron.
//

Paul Marossy

Good move, Aron. It's a necessary evil.  :icon_cool:

QSQCaito

Hey Paul! Don't say that  ;D

It's necessary but not evil, I think. But what you say I understand that police is also evil(lol, i turned aron into a cop :P) and I don't think it's like that. There are rules, the ones who break them are evil, and must receive their punishment. So, finally.. aron, you're a punisher :D

Bye bye

Thanks once again aron for the great forum ;)

DAC
D.A.C

Paul Marossy

QuoteHey Paul! Don't say that 

Don't take me literally now.  :icon_wink:

Unfortunately, it's something that must be done to keep the peace and to keep big blowouts from happening. There's been several over the years. I've missed many of them, but I see the aftermath of them. It's just not cool.  :icon_confused: