SparkleDrive Layout in the Gallery!

Started by markm, April 13, 2007, 07:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

Hello to all here on the board!
Got another NEW Build here to share with you.
The SparkleDrive>>>> http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/SparkleDrive_LAYOUT
Yes, that's right, the infamous TS Blender from VDL.
There is also a Perf-build in the Perfboard Jungle.

A VERY Special thank you to TORCHY for the use of his schem and for answering a few questions for me.
His invaluable assistance would not have made this project possible.

Please take a look and, enjoy!  ;D

Meanderthal

Hmmm... 2 opamps, 1 transistor... interesting! Must use a 'different' buffer arrangement to accomodate the clean blend...

Good lookin' layout there! ;)
I am not responsible for your imagination.

markm

Quote from: Meanderthal on April 13, 2007, 08:10:11 PM
Must use a 'different' buffer arrangement to accomodate the clean blend...

Yeah, If my understanding is correct, it's using 1/2 of the 5532 as the clean stage from the buffer.

Quote from: Meanderthal on April 13, 2007, 08:10:11 PM

Good lookin' layout there! ;)

Many Thanks.....this one broke my stones a bit......caused obsceneties to be mumbled here and there too!  :icon_lol:

One thing I will add is I think a 100K Audio pot would be better for the volume control. The linear 100K doesn't seem as smooth an increase in volume.

markm

Just an update to this post;

I strongly suggest using an A100K pot in place of the B100K for the volume control
An A250K maybe even better still possibly.
Also, using the W20K tone pot that smallbear offers for the Tube Screamer is a good idea too for better tone control.
I have to add that after playing around with this build a little bit, it is extremely versatile as an OD and lots of good tones can be coaxed outta this circuit.
It is impressive.
The blend control is truly amazing as the original tone of the guitar does not get lost in the OD portion of the circuit which is one of MY major issues with the plain TS.
I do like this thing alot surprisingly!
I'm also surprised at the lack of interest in it here..... :icon_confused: it's quite puzzling......

KB

Hi Mark

Congratulations on yet another addition to you ever growing encyclopedia of stompboxes (5 pages and still growing).

One question though...... do you actually get to build them..?

Kevin

PS... like the groupies....  ;)

newbie builder

Added to the (evergrowing) build list! Thanks MarkM.
//

jrc4558

GaussMarkov and I we re working on one using a quad opamp. Never finished it thoug... Good job!
Remeber that for higher input impedance, one can always use a Jfet instead of MPSA18

markm

Quote from: KB on April 14, 2007, 01:00:42 PM

One question though...... do you actually get to build them..?

Unless it says "UNVERIFIED" in the description, I have built it!  :icon_eek:

Quote from: KB on April 14, 2007, 01:00:42 PM
PS... like the groupies....  ;)

;)

Quote from: newbie builder on April 14, 2007, 01:03:05 PM
Added to the (evergrowing) build list! Thanks MarkM.

Thanks very much Newbie.....nice to see ya around again!

Quote from: Constantin Necrasov on April 14, 2007, 02:14:09 PM
GaussMarkov and I we re working on one using a quad opamp. Never finished it thoug... Good job!
Remeber that for higher input impedance, one can always use a Jfet instead of MPSA18

You SHOULD finish that build.....that would be cool! 8)
Thanks for looking and thanks for the compliment!

96ecss

I've built a few pedals from Mark's layouts and pcb's and they've all worked great. Keep up the good work Mark!!! I'm working on doing some of my own layouts now and you've been a big inspiration for me. Thanks.

Dave

ulysses

looks nice mate - congats!

cheers
ulysses

markm

calculating_infinity

Mark Marien is the man, nuff said!  He's on FI YAH!   :icon_twisted:

newbie builder

Quote from: markm on April 15, 2007, 07:11:09 AM
Newbie.....nice to see ya around again!

I've been here! I'd been reading lots, but hadn't had a chance to build for a while-- now that I've got in some new parts orders and a new work bench setup, I've been breadboarding and building like crazy though; I forgot how much fun it was! Then I looked at my latest bank statement and remember why I had to take a break from building last time  :icon_redface:
//

alderbody

i always admired that circuit because of the clean blend feature.

i guess it's time to build it

THANKS!!!

markm

Quote from: alderbody on April 16, 2007, 02:41:42 AM
i always admired that circuit because of the clean blend feature.

Same here!
It took a liitle while to work the bugs out of the layout + some schematic variations didn't help either.
Torchy gave me some assistance for which I am certainly greatful.....thanks again Torchy!  :icon_wink:
I'm thinking of adding this blend circuit to a Dynacomp in an attempt to imitate the Tone Press.
We'll see.......

alderbody

Quote from: markm on April 16, 2007, 10:28:32 AM
I'm thinking of adding this blend circuit to a Dynacomp in an attempt to imitate the Tone Press.
We'll see.......

That blend circuit could be very useful...

i got a lot in my mind, too.

We'll definitely see....  :icon_mrgreen:

markm

Quote from: alderbody on April 17, 2007, 03:36:22 AM
Quote from: markm on April 16, 2007, 10:28:32 AM
We'll see.......

That blend circuit could be very useful...

i got a lot in my mind, too.

We'll definitely see....  :icon_mrgreen:

I'm interested!
For a simpler blend circuit, check out the Sprinkle-Drive.
Works just as well it seems.

remmelt

I'm building a Red Llama for a bass player next. I would like him to be able to mix in some clean signal as well, but also be able to use the effect regularly, so without any clean. Is that possible with this circuit? I guess I can exchange the TS for any other effect, right? Any other things I should take into account? Can I just as well use the sprinkle drive? What should I have for dinner tonight?
The sprinkle drive looks like it's just a clean boost parallel with a distortion, no buffers or anything. Hmmm.. I might try that.

As for the regular Sparkle Drive, I'm interested in building it stock. Any sound samples?

Sorry for all the questions, folks. Any pointers to where I can find more information are greatly appreciated.

remmelt

markm

Quote from: remmelt on April 18, 2007, 12:12:06 PM
I'm building a Red Llama for a bass player next. I would like him to be able to mix in some clean signal as well, but also be able to use the effect regularly, so without any clean. Is that possible with this circuit?

Yes. The "Clean" control is really a blend control that can be adjusted to just the OD itself, Clean itself or, any combo in between.

I guess I can exchange the TS for any other effect, right?

Yes in theory ....sure.

Can I just as well use the sprinkle drive?

Yes.

What should I have for dinner tonight?

Sirloin.

The sprinkle drive looks like it's just a clean boost parallel with a distortion, no buffers or anything. Hmmm.. I might try that.

Actually, I beleive the 2N5457 is functioning as a buffer here or, perhaps recovery.

As for the regular Sparkle Drive, I'm interested in building it stock. Any sound samples?

I don't have any no.

Sorry for all the questions, folks. Any pointers to where I can find more information are greatly appreciated.

No problem.
No pointers but, both builds are in my gallery here>> http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album15