colorsound tremolo dragonfly layout

Started by NekoNeko, December 10, 2007, 01:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NekoNeko

Thank you so much for the replys. I have found it most helpfull and i'm learning alot!
I think my readings are all screwed up as it was the first time i did any, i will try again and post the results.
Sorry about the worng schem.
Quote from: hellwood on December 18, 2007, 06:03:03 PM
Quote from: NekoNeko on December 15, 2007, 03:30:43 PM
I was using music from my laptop as an input signal with the audio probe via the headphone out and the effect worked great. so i disconected the audio probe and plugged my guitar in and the signal comes through then fizzles out into nothing.

first of all, an output signal from your laptop is WAY more intense than a guitar signal. if anything, this could be a clue that your bias is the problem. it could but probably wont kill your laptop's amp to run stereo into a mono jack. it would be better to get an adapter so you can split the stereo into mono's and use the mono L or R.

So it might be a bias problem? i will try and see what i can find out about it
then post again to avoid any repeated questions.  i found it strange that my laptops "hot" signal didn't overload the circuit but my guitar did.

Thanks again and Merry christmas!!

NekoNeko

o i should also add that when i listened to the signal with audio probe i found that the 1m res next to the diode (on the vero) had signal going in the top but it didn't come out on the bottom which goe's to the collector of Q2. Could this be my problem?

snoof

you should not have signal on the ground side of that 1meg resistor.  on a side note, does anybody know why that 1m to grnd is there, doesn't that set the output impedance at 1m, thats way high??  wouldn't the 100k shown in the schematic be a better choice??

NekoNeko

ok thanks snoof.

Heres some new readings

Q1
C =0.22
B =0.14
E =0.00

Q2
C=0.00
B=0.00
E=0.00
Q3
C=0.31
B=0.06
E=0.00
D1
A =0.00
K =0.22

snoof

your battery looks dead.  you should have battery voltage at the cathode of the diode.  Q2 still has a problem.  I can't really tell you anything to do specificaly except to check all the trace cuts and look for solder bridges.

NekoNeko

yey. i got it working. I driiled the box and mounted it used a different battery, guitar and amp and it works great. I don't know what i've done but it works. I had brand new batterys when i did the last readings so it cannot have been the battery. when i measured the point where +9 volts lead from the battery came to the board it was very low so maybe i had a dodgey wire. well it works now, with a different guitar! i will post some pictures of the finished article when i get a chance. Really nice sounding trem/vibrato can do choppy stuff as well as smooth wobble like fender amps. I've just built a p45 with JC mods, debug that next!! I just want to say thanks to everyone who helped me with this, i've learnt alot of valueble info on debugging.

Renegadrian

I know it's an old topic, also this tremolo is not the most popular it seems, very little info I could find...some reported a volume drop, I see andy's layout has a 1M res to ground at the output, schem has a 100k - maybe that would cause a bigger drop, sending too much signal to grd!?

someone suggested to push the signal at the end, like putting a lpb1 there.
why not modify the q1 part and turn that part into lpb1 or generic npn booster?!
what if I lower the 100k res at the input?!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!