My =ultimate= multi-fx pedalboard...W.I.P

Started by Auke Haarsma, April 14, 2007, 06:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: Valoosj on December 05, 2007, 04:46:13 AM
You could also go to an arts and crafts store, and buy some of those stick on circles. They should come in all sizes...
I'm not sure what you mean with this? I need a picture of it I guess  ;D

Quote from: Valoosj on December 05, 2007, 04:46:13 AM
How is that payback coming along? did you find out any mistakes?
I've been playing around with it last night, but I still have some unanswered questions posted in the Payback thrread (regarding the CD4093 and the SW3). Probably something I'm doing wrong, but as it is now the sound quality is so bad that it is hardly 'lo-fi', more like 'distorted-fi'. I have it on my breadboard, so I can continue with troubleshooting easily, when I get some hints.

Valoosj

kleine gekleurde cirkels die je kan plakken
;)
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Auke Haarsma

Auke Haarsma

Tiny update:

I received my push-pull potmeters from Steve (SmallBear Elec) and replaced the volume-pot and the chorus/vibe switch on my neovibe. It works like a charm. Next these push-pull pots will be used in the TS808 and the RAT to incorporate some mods (diodes/leds etc), without eating up precious pedalboard space!

Auke Haarsma

I've uploaded some soundclips of (semi)finished FX here:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/toomuchgear/

Not the best playing, but you get an idea of how the effects sound. I've made clips of:
-CE-2 Chorus
-PT-80 Delay
-Dr. Boogey
-RAT
-NeoVibe

I made the Dr Boogey and dropped the tonestack. I put a SWTC2 (see AMZ) in place and it works really wel.

Recording has been done quickly with my onboard soundcard. No added fx like reverb:
-Humbuckers equipped guitar -> DIY effect -> Vox AC30 cc1 Topboost+normal channel blend, a touch of reverb from the AC30 -> SM58 (clone) -> Behringer mixer -> Onboard PC soundcard -> Linux simple recording stuff (didn't have time to setup Adour yet)
The effects are 'unboxed', but still there is hardly any noise.

greigoroth

Man, all those clips are really nice, especially the modulation effects! Congrats!
Built: GGG Green Ringer

tranceracer

WOW all those effects sound really nice!  Like you said very little noise and the chorus is very airy.  GREAT JOB!  :D
Keep up the great work!
I can't wait until the whole thing is done!

-tR

Auke Haarsma

Thanks for the kind responses!

The Dr Boogey seems to have changed overnight. I didn't change anything, but it's not good anymore. I'll have to rebias it this weekend.

Auke Haarsma

I've finished the DOD250. It's a really nice little OD/Distortion. I like it a lot!

You can listen to a clip overhere:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/toomuchgear/
the noise you hear in the background is caused by the lack of proper grounding in my apartment

And an overview of the progress:
green = done (or 95% done, just some finetuning needed)
blue = 75% done, needs wiring, pots, some small stuff. Can be done in an evening
red = Not finished, not started, problems, parts, new ideas...

Booster
Super Hard On
RoG Omega

Fuzz
Big Muff
Fuzz Face

Overdrive
Tubescreamer 808
DOD250

Distortion
Dr Boogey
RAT
boohteek! Rock box Made a new PCB for this one

Modulation
Neovibe
CE-2 Chorus
Phase 90
Tremolo

Delay
PT80
New idea for a project based on the pt2395

Other stuff
Powersupply
Footswitches
Channel Switches
Splitter
Blender
Expression pedal
Internal Wiring
FX-loops and tuner out
Enclosure

Auke Haarsma

It's about time for an update, I guess.

I've been really busy in between, but did find some time this weekend to make a PCB and populate it for the MI Audio Crunchbox.

Nice sounding pedal!

greigoroth

Keep going man!

This project is so ambitious and awesome! It is a real inspiration for a beginner such as myself :D
Built: GGG Green Ringer

scaesic

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on January 23, 2008, 03:52:34 AM
It's about time for an update, I guess.

I've been really busy in between, but did find some time this weekend to make a PCB and populate it for the MI Audio Crunchbox.

Nice sounding pedal!

Thats not even on the list!

Auke Haarsma

Haha, yeah, that's one of my problems and one of the main reasons to NOT start on an multi-fx project ;) I stumbled upon the schematic a couple of months ago and breadboarded it. Didn;t sound nice at all. Recently tried it again, sounded much better. I decided to make a pcb for it and build it. It will probably end up on my board, but I'm not sure yet. Box of Rock, Dr Boogey, RAT, Big Muff, Crunchbox...that's a lot of dirt-pedals!

Anyways, just poppin in to say the project is still alive, but I took some time of the project to build some projects for others. I also ordered some tubes.... Wouldn't it be awesome to get some tube-OD on this board?    ;D ;D

And I tried out mosfet-clippers on the TS808. Love it. Mucht better than the LED-clippers. I guess I drop the LEDs for the mosfets.

coxter

i've heard the soundclips for payback.

theyre really distorted. is the normal?

Auke Haarsma

Some distortion, yeah. It's lofi. But the distortion you hear on my clips is also caused by me setting the rec and playback levels to high. At that time I didn't realize that the playback level also played a part in recording. Rolling back the playback level and the rec level will get much cleaner recordings. Valoosj is building one, so he can confirm. Also, check out zvex lofi loopjunky soundclips, it sounds similar.

Valoosj

I'm just waiting for the parts. How is your coming? Or are you waiting for me to confirm my pcb?  ;D
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Auke Haarsma

Mine has been put on the 'maybe-I'll-build-it-one-day-but-not-next-week'-list  :icon_mrgreen:

Auke Haarsma

Some photo-updates:

A Tonepad Big Muff Pi:

A booooteeeeck Rock Box:

The TS808 with pushpull pots for the clipping options:

still with ledclippers here, will be replaced with mosfets. Btw, the pots are from Smallbear. Accidently they send me 'normal' pots. One 1 email to them and they fixed it. Send me the pushpullpots right away and I could keep the 'wrong' pots. Great service!

The RunOffGroove Omega:

Range, Gain and Volume control. Makes it a very very verstatile booster

And a tonepad P90:

I had to drop the zener to get this one to phase. It is working nicely now without a zener.

And....did I already show this? A bunch of parts from futurelec:

the order started as a simple 'I need some IC's for my delay-project'...it ended up with 'let's by a bunch of value packs because you never know when you need those parts....stockpiling is good! ...but I haven't found the time yet to work on the delayproject sadly...

HeimBrent

Auke Haarsma

Yeah, it's been a while... but, the last effect has been made and tested. I built the Tremulus Lune, a really nice versatile trem.

Next step should be connecting all the fx and switches in a wooden dummy enclosure. This allows me to see if it will fit, and will probably pop up some issues with noise etc.

The last step is getting closer, but it is also the hardest step. Starting something is way more easy than finishing it...